This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The winter season is upon us and that means so is the dry, winter skin that comes with it. As a college student, we are on a budget so, not all of us can afford to spend a lot of money on face masks. These are quick, simple, and easy home-made face masks to combat dry skin. These are super affordable, using foods we all love and that you can buy at a grocery store. You might even have these ingredients at home right now. The best thing about these home-made face masks is that they are all natural. Here are four home-made face masks to moisturize dry, winter skin! 

1. Banana Face Mask

Bananas are a staple in any household, but did you know how beneficial they are for the skin? Bananas have a lot of vitamins and nutrients that help with numerous skin problems. Vitamin A in bananas helps with fading dark spots and blemishes as well as smoothing the skin. Vitamin B helps with preventing aging and moisturizing the skin. Vitamin E helps with preventing and reducing the appearance of wrinkles as well as fighting free radical damage. Potassium helps with moisturizing and hydrating the skin. Here are two different types of banana face masks you can create at home: 

Ingredients: 

• 1 banana mashed until it becomes smooth
  • 2 tbsp of plain yogurt 

Blend the ingredients until they are smooth and apply to face. Leave on for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with water. 

Ingredients:

• 1 tbsp of honey
  • 1 tsp of olive oil

Combine all the ingredients and blend until it becomes a smooth paste and apply to face. Leave on for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with water.

2. Avocado Face Mask

Avocados are the key to guacamole and now they are going to be a key in your skin care routine. Avocados applied to the face are beneficial because they help moisturize the skin, heal acne and inflammation, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and exfoliate the skin. Avocado is a high potassium food and potassium is important for the skin to stay looking healthy and moisturized. You can use only avocado for a face mask, mash it up, then apply it to the face or you can use more ingredients for more added benefits. 

Ingredients: 

• 1 whole avocado
  • 1 tbsp of olive oil
  • 2 tbsp of plain yogurt
  • 1 tbsp of honey

Mash up the avocado separately then add the other ingredients and mix together. Apply to face and leave on for a few minutes, then rinse with water.

3. Honey Face Mask

Honey is an added ingredient to many home-made face masks because there are many benefits to the skin that people did not know of. It is naturally antibacterial, so it helps with acne prevention and treatment. Honey is also full of antioxidants, so it helps with slowing down aging. Honey is extremely moisturizing too! It gives your complexion a boost and helps create a glow. You can use raw honey as a face mask, just apply it to your skin and let sit for a few minutes, then rinse off with a warm wash cloth, or you can combine it with aloe vera which helps with dry skin, redness, and inflammation. 

Ingredients:

• 2 tbsp raw honey
  • 1 tbsp aloe vera gel

Combine these two ingredients together then apply to the face. Leave on for 10-15 minutes, then rinse off with water.

4. Oatmeal Face Mask

Oatmeal alone cannot moisturize your skin, but it can help with soothing irritation and inflammation. Oatmeal is also a main component in a moisturizing face mask because it is humectant, meaning it can help your skin retain moisture. If you need a super moisturizing face mask, this one has all the ingredients to turn dull skin into a dewy glowing complexion. 

Ingredients: 

• 1/2 cup of oatmeal
  • 1 tbsp of honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 of a banana
  • 1 tbsp of almond oil

In a bowl, add 1 cup of boiling water and 1/2 cup oatmeal, mix it, then let sit for a 2 minutes. Add 1 tbsp of honey and 1 egg to the mix, then mix until they completely dissolved. Mash 1/2 a banana, then mix it with the other ingredients and add 1 tbsp of almond oil. Let the mixture cool until you can touch it. When mixture is cool enough to apply to your skin, apply it to your face, then let sit for 10-15 minutes and after rinse with water. 

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.