4 First-Time Apartment Move In Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s time. Out of dorm life you go and into apartment living. Here come taco Tuesdays. And your own couch to sprawl out on. Now before moving-in and having your very own place for the first time, it’s important to make sure everything is checked off for a smooth and pain free experience. 

Read through lease 

Before you bring your pet iguana or dog or fish, it’s a good idea to read through your lease once more. Not only will you remember what things are acceptable, it’s also extremely important because it has all the information about the money. “Cause it’s all about the money, money, money.” You get the hint. You can’t move in without paying rent. For a lot of Illinois student apartments, the first rent payment is due August 1st so it’s really important to check your lease for just how much you owe and by what date. 

Move in guide from your leasing agency

My leasing agency, as I imagine many others do, sent out a move-in guide. This has information about what day you move-in, what furnishings your apartment has and other important things to remember that you may have forgotten or not known. Mine included a little information about deciding if you want to buy renters insurance and remembering to set up things with your utility companies. 

Talk with roommates

If you’re anything like me and my roommates, you’ve already set up a group chat, a Facebook conversation and even just started an excel file to make sure everything is covered. From deciding whose bringing the pots and pans to talking about the bathroom theme and picking the all-important shower curtain, it’s never too early to get back in contact and talk about the apartment with your roommates. It’s necessary to all be on the same page and it’s a great idea to also start talking about apartment rules so there aren’t surprises come throughout the school year. It’s better to establish these with your roommates in the beginning stages so the year runs smoothly. Whether it’s about cleaning the bathroom or determining the best “sock on the door” method, everyone will be happier if things are put on the table in advance. 

Your supplies

So you’ve talked with your roommates about the general things, but don’t forget to remember your own items! Whether that be the right size bedding (Beds are usually a full size, rather than the Twin-XL sizes found in dorms) or just the decorations for you room, it’s easy to lose track of your own things when thinking about the apartment as a whole. Just remember to check the list of things that come in your room, so you’re not surprised come move-in day. 

Here are four tips to make move-in as smooth as possible! Now have the time of your life and finally feel like a real adult in your first apartment! Have more apartment move-in suggestions? Comment below!

College! Can anything be more exciting! Born and raised on the southside of Chicago, I went to high school in the city so coming to the middle of the cornfields is a big change, but one I am very excited for. When I’m not busy stressing about school, I enjoy reading, having crazy adventures with friends, and just living to the fullest. (Insert one of my numerous favorite Pintrest quotes here) Fresh out of high school, I’m ready to report on all things collegiate and take you along my wild and sure to be bumpy road that is freshman year! 
Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter