3 Ways to Spend New Year’s Eve in Champaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s finally here! Winter break has arrived. A time of relaxation, sleeping in and spending time with family and friends. It is also a time for many holidays, and now that the others have passed we can get excited for New Year’s Eve. When it comes to making plans for ringing in the new year, there are many options. One that you might not have considered is making a return to school early to celebrate the holiday. There are a ton of great options for spending New Year’s Eve in Champaign!

1. Campus bars and drink deals

You may not be old enough to (legally) celebrate New Year’s Eve in full style, but campus bars offer you the opportunity to engage in the experience. Compared to most of your hometown bars, bar entry is only 19! So why not stay in Champaign to experience the atmosphere of the bars without even having to be 21?

Another valuable aspect of campus bars are the drink deals and specials. Try buying a drink in Chicago for $1. KAM’S, Cly’s and the Red Lion all offer a variety of discounted drinks starting at this price. There are also other bonuses like free appetizers to complement the drink specials.

2. Apartment and house parties

If you don’t feel like paying for a ticket to one of the bar’s New Year’s Eve parties, Champaign isn’t short on apartment or house parties to ring in the festivities. It’s a great way to gather both of your high school and college friends in one setting and bring the party to you. Sometimes a more intimate gathering creates a better atmosphere than the bars do. Plus, if you host, you don’t have to worry about making your way home once the party stops.

3. Comedy show

If neither of these options sound fun, there is a comedy show from 10 p.m. to midnight at One Main Street that offers dinner before the show. If you’re spending the holiday with family or feel like taking it easy, this is a great way to ring in the new year.

While Champaign may not have been your first choice for New Year’s Even plans, there are plenty of options that are sure to not disappoint. What better way to celebrate a semester’s end than in our favorite college town?

For more information on New Year’s Eve events in Champaign, you can visit Champaign county’s online calendar

Photo sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/events/1506506012936993/

https://smartstopselfstorage.com/community/blog/holiday/how-to-throw-a-g…

http://christmasstockimages.com/free/new_year/slides/2015_new_year.jpg

I'm a Journalism major at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My passion is writing and I hope to do so for the rest of my life ~
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.