3 Tips for Finding Jeans That Fit a Big Butt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

For all the girls out there who suffer from “big booty syndrome” and can’t find pants that fit, I have a solution for you. Only someone who truly suffers from the problem knows how difficult shopping can be. Either the pants won’t fit over your hips or there is too much sagging in the legs. And when you do find the perfect pair that fits, it takes 10 minutes to get them on as you do that “dance” to get each leg in.

Instead of giving up on the jean search and wearing leggings to class everyday (yes, I know they’re comfortable but do you really want a pack of frat boys staring?), here are some tips on how to find jeans that fit your butt so that your trip to the fitting room won’t end in a mental breakdown.

1. Find a pair that’s made of at least 1% spandex.

Before you even try on a pair of jeans read the label and check to see if they have stretch. Nobody likes stiff jeans that they can’t bend in and ones that will most likely gap in the waistband on a big butt. Try to look for at least one to three percent spandex on the label, many brands call them a legging jean. Beware of getting jeans that are too large for you, because as you wear them, they will stretch out and become baggy. Buy a size smaller so that they fit tighter in the store. Eventually, they will stretch in the places you need them to and feel like leggings.

2. Choose a high rise fit.

Don’t be afraid; I’m not suggesting “mom jeans” here, but a high rise fit will actually look like a normal rise on a bigger-bottom girl. A big problem with fitting jeans on a big butt is having them ride down in the back and thus creating the dreaded plumber’s crack. Look at jeans that are labeled as “high rise fit,” which will create higher rise in the back than in the front to prevent the extreme high rise look. Many brands such as American Eagle and Gap have been selling these styles in both jeans and other pant styles.

3. Spend money on quality.

There’s a cost to having curves and you’ll just have to learn to spend a little bit more money on your jeans. More expensive jeans use better quality denim and will last longer. Many jeans wear and rip in the butt and inner thigh area on a bigger bottom girl. To prevent any embarrassing rips I would suggest investing in a higher quality pair of pants. Also, consider getting a tailor to nip in the waist when you find jeans that fit in the butt and hips. Having a custom fit pair of jeans is almost as good as having Kim Kardashian’s personal booty tailor on call 24/7.

With these three tips you’ll never have to worry about another “big booty problem” meme again. So, in the wise words of Sir Mix-A-Lot, “Shake that healthy butt!”

Photo sources:

http://www.someecards.com/usercards/unsubmitted/MjAxMy0wOGU1ZTNlMTNhMDUz…

UIUC. Junior. Advertising Major. Sigma Kappa. Fashion.
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.