10 Reasons Why Collegiettes Are Still Obsessed with Disney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

I think it’s safe to say college students and 4-year-olds have quite a bit in common: we both enjoy arts and crafts, we can’t wait for the holidays and most importantly, we have a major obsession with anything Disney.

Some things just never change.

So why is it that “Frozen” and “Tangled” are still our first choices on movie nights? Here are 10 reasons we’re still obsessed with Disney movies.  

1. Disney tells it how it is.

Sometimes we don’t want it to be sugarcoated, and Disney isn’t one to shy away from telling it how it is. Whether it’s a villainous insult or a female character standing up for what she believes, Disney isn’t afraid to call it out and be real. Because of that, we’re in love even more.  

2. We can relate to the characters.

We’ve all been a complete klutz like Anna or felt too shut in like Rapunzel at one point or another. In fact, it’s hard to think of a single Disney hero/heroine that we haven’t related to in some way. From Simba’s excitement for the future to Aladdin’s struggle with being completely broke, we feel for the Disney characters.

Except Hans. We hate Hans.  

3. We appreciate the subtle jokes.

When we were younger, most of the Disney jokes just flew right over our heads. Watching some of the movies back now, we can appreciate them in their entirety: inappropriate, clever and intelligent jokes included.

4. The music, duh.

I think it’s safe to say that we’ve all walked out of an exam at some point this semester singing “Let It Go” in our heads. The Disney soundtracks are nearly as great as the movies themselves, and sometimes, even better. And we will gladly stand up on our couches and belt out the words to “I Won’t Say I’m In Love” with Meg. No judgment.

5. We can’t help but be attracted to some of the characters.

Two words: Flynn Rider. Or, if that isn’t a good enough explanation: Prince Eric, Hercules, Aladdin, Tarzan, Prince Naveen, the list truly goes on and on. Long story short, Disney knows how to make an attractive hero.  

6. We’ve (not so secretly) always wanted to be a Disney princess.

You mean I can actually wear glass slippers? Or ride on a magic caret? Or marry Flynn Rider? Being a Disney princess isn’t only every little girl’s dream, but every girl’s dream in general, collegiettes included.  

7. The nostalgia.

Disney was our childhood, and to be able to return to it in college and still appreciate it as much now as you did is incredible. So whip out those Disney movies without shame, because you know your childhood was amazing because of them.

8. The animals.

I mean seriously, how cute is Sven? Pluto, Lady, Tramp, Flounder and Raja: all Disney animals all absolutely adorable. Our love for animals is mirrored in Disney movies and as if we weren’t already hooked, we sure are now.

9. Our hopeless romanticism.

Prince Charming and Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Prince Phillip, even Tiana and Prince Naveen: they’re all romantic stories we were rooting for from the beginning. Disney is the hopeless romantic’s paradise, and who knows, maybe one day we’ll get our own Prince Charming, even if he’s in the form of Kristoff. I’d take it.

10. We’re smart enough to know that Disney is the best.

Every Disney film ever made has been nothing less than amazing, and that’s the bottom line. Every last detail is absolutely perfect and every ending leaves us wanting more; we just can’t get enough. Because of Disney, we have abnormally high standards, and we wouldn’t want it any other way.

So really, when it comes down to it, we’re never going to grow out of Disney, so we might as well embrace it.

Image sources:

1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6/ 7/ 8/ 9/ 10

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.