Style > Beauty

10 Incredible Makeup Products That Will Help You Step Up Your Beauty Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

I often stumble across old, embarrassing photos of me where I had overly dark, Sharpie eyebrows and smudged, crooked eyeliner. I wish I could go back and give my teenaged self some makeup advice but I can’t. However, I can help you. Over the years I have experimented a lot with make up and have narrowed it down to a couple of great products. Whether you’re a beginner or more advanced makeup user, these products are compatible with any look.

Eyebrows are the windows to the soul

Eyebrows are essential to helping you frame your face. People often say that eyebrows are sisters, not twins. Although eyebrows don’t have to be perfect, these three eyebrow products will help you get close to perfection.

1. NYX Professional Makeup Micro Brow Pencil

NYX’s Micro Brow Pencil is one of my favorite brow products. The tip of the pencil is so small that it allows you to make precise, fine lines. I often use this product to outline my eyebrows and draw hairs in sparse areas. It helps achieve more natural-looking eyebrows. It’s also usually under ten dollars and found in several drug stores. It’s half the price of Anastasia Beverly Hill’s brow pencil, but works just as well.

1. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Powder Duo

Anastasia Beverly Hills’ Brow Powder Duo is amazing.  It comes with two different colored powders so it allows you to create depth. I use an angled brush to apply the powder onto my brows. Again, it helps you create a more natural-looking eyebrow. Although it’s a pricier than some products, it lasts you a long time. I recommend this product over Anastasia Beverly Hills’ dipbrow pomade, which feels thick and heavy on the skin, and also dries out quickly.

1. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Gel

Anastasia Beverly Hills’ Brow Gel helps you add the finishing touches on your eyebrows. I use the clear gel to hold my eyebrows in place. It lasts all day and makes your eyebrows look more clean and polished. It’s just an extra step to help set and define your eyebrows. Anastasia Beverly Hills also has a tinted brow gel if you’re looking to create a darker, bolder eyebrow look.

You can cry if you want to

The number one thing I look for in eye makeup is whether or not it’s waterproof. I often have watery eyes because of my contact lenses (and emotional breakdowns), so this is crucial for me. These are two waterproof eye products I can’t live without.

1. Milani Eye Tech Extreme Liquid Eye Liner

Milani’s liquid eye liner will help you achieve any eyeliner look you want. The felt tip allows you to draw a thin or thick liner depending on the angle you hold it. It’s also waterproof and stays in place. Another thing I’ve noticed is that it dries matte, so the finished product looks very smooth. I recommend this eye liner because of how it’s designed. It fits well in the hand, allowing for better control and easier use.

1. L’Oreal Telescopic Carbon Black Mascara

L’Oreal’s mascara helps you get every single eyelash. The applicator is very thin and small so it gets every little hair. It creates a more lengthened look. I’ve tried many mascaras but this one is very precise, helping me get more defined lashes. It applies the product evenly and separates the eyelashes. It also clumps less and lasts longer. You can find it at many drug stores.

Panda eyes

I struggle a lot with dark circles and bags under my eyes. People oftentimes ask me if I’m tired, because I look sleep deprived. Here are products to brighten up your under-eyes and help you look more awake.

1. Benefit Cosmetics Boi-ing Brightening Concealer

Benefit Cosmetics’ Boi-ing Brightening Concealer has saved me from looking like a zombie. It was previous named ‘erase-paste’, if that sounds more familiar. This concealer color-corrects, brightening your eyes using pink undertones. I usually use this color-correcting concealer before my actual concealer just for an extra radiance.

1. NARS Cosmetics Radiant Creamy Concealer

NARS Cosmetics’ concealer does a great job of masking imperfections. Not only does it have nice coverage, but the formula feels nice on the skin. It feels lightweight and hydrating. It also is easy to blend and looks natural. I usually do not wear foundation because this concealer basically takes care of everything. This concealer really enhances your natural skin and makes it look amazing.

Get your glow on

The latest makeup trend is to achieve a summer glow. The objective is to look effortless and natural, yet have bright, glowing skin. The key is highlighter. Here are some products to help incorporate some glow into your life. 

1.  Benefit Cosmetics Watt’s Up! Cream-to-Powder Highlighter

Benefit Cosmetics’ Watt’s Up! Highlight is a godsend. I use this highlighter daily and it works so well for every complexion. It applies very smooth on the skin because it starts off as a cream formula. Then, it magically turns into a powder, which allows you to blend it easily. The highlighter is more of a champagne color and it leaves your skin looking radiant.

1. Benefit Cosmetics Hoola Matte Bronzer

Benefit Cosmetics’ bronzer helps you achieve a sun kissed look. A brush of the bronzer will help you look tan all year round. It works great on many skin tones. It comes with a soft brush that helps you apply the powder smoothly and seamlessly. It’s a quick way to contour and define certain features. This is one of my favorite bronzers and it helps me look more sculpted.

1. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer

To achieve the glowing, natural look, finish off with a glossy lip. Fenty Beauty’s lip luminizer leaves you with a shimmery nude-colored finish. Rihanna herself insists it looks good on everyone, and I believe it. It helps your lips look full, smooth, and shiny- your lips, but better.

There you have it, my top ten beauty products. I hope you guys go out there and try some of these amazing products. I believe these are products that will look good on anyone. They’re also all easy to use, high-quality, and affordable. 

A junior at the University of Illinois- Urbana- Champaign, majoring in Advertising and double minoring in Psychology and Public Relations.
Samantha Merkin

Illinois '18

.