This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I am obsessed with winter; it’s my favorite season. The holiday, my birthday, being able to wear my super cute winter clothes – you get it.

Winter does have one big downside… dry skin.

The second the weather drops below 40 degrees, my hands feel awful. My skin peels, and it’s just downright uncomfortable. I thought the only way to combat my dry skin was putting lotion on 45 times a day until I discovered the best winter hack. The good news is, it’s super cheap, you probably already have the ingredients, and you only have to do it once a day.

Sugar scrub! It exfoliates and gets rid of dead skin, while leaving your hands feeling moisturized.

All it is, is regular sugar and some olive oil. You add some sugar and mix in a little bit of olive oil until it’s a paste-like consistency. If you add too much olive oil, the sugar will dissolve, but if you don’t add enough, it won’t moisturize the skin.

Every night, I take about a quarter-size bit of the sugar scrub and rub in into my hands for about a minute. Rinse off the sugar scrub, and add some lotion.

Since I’ve started doing this, my hands no longer feel as dry, and I don’t have to put lotion on so many times a day. It’s a life saver.

Extra pro-tip: you can also use this as a lip scrub since it’s made up of all edible ingredients. Take a pea sized bit and rub in onto your lips, rinse, and add some chapstick for extra moisture to get rid of chapped lips.

Karys Crandell

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State