This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Fall is one of the best times for fashion. The weather is getting a little cooler, which means you need to layer up! This is the best time to play with your personal style, just because there are so many pieces that are wearable this time of the year. Keep reading to find out what’s in for Fall 2017 so you can stay stylin’!

Fancy Fur

So many designers are doing colored faux fur looks this fall, and they are so stylish, it hurts a little. I feel like this trend is one that scares the average college student. Even though we’re not all strutting the streets of NYC in full faux fur coats, there are still so many ways to add this trend to your wardrobe. Try a denim jacket with a fur collar or a fur trim! This way you aren’t going overboard, but you’re still mega trendy. You could also try my personal favorite, a faux fur leopard printed jacket!

Wallpaper Prints

Okay, so this one is one of my favorite trends because it is SO ’70s. Any print that has bold colors, mod stripes, or major flower-power vibes is definitely something you should be wearing this season. If it looks like vintage wallpaper that could have been in your grandparent’s living room at one point in time, get it.

Statement Coats

Tired of seeing everyone on campus in the same knee-length black parka?! Statement coats are something that are a killer investment for your wardrobe. Try snagging a coat with some pretty embellishments or one in your favorite color! A cool coat can elevate your look so easily, and let’s be honest, they really do make trucking through the snow a little more enjoyable – if that’s even possible.

Metallics

Whether it’s silver, gold, or a fun color, adding a little shine to your look is never a bad idea. If you’re looking to rock this trend while running from class to class, try a metallic flat or bag to add a pop to your look. Once evening rolls around, get a little more creative and try a metallic dress or bomber jacket!

Poised Plaids

Suit sets and separates are not just something that need to be found in the office. This fall, all of the fashionistas are working it in simple plaid pieces. Greys, blacks, and whites are the colors to stick to if you want to get that “effortlessly stylish” look.

Allison O'Brien

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State