What To Remember On Halloween Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Halloween is upon us and if you’re that person who usually stays in on the weekends, this weekend there is always this underlining obligation to go out. There are many things to remember when drunkly running around campus this weekend. We all want to have major fun but we must keep an eye out for the crazies and the puking slutty cats. This is where I come to make sure you all have an epic weekend and remember some of it…maybe.

The buddy system

Of course, this is the number one rule when going out, but this rule is especially implied on Halloween.  Try to stay in groups smaller than four, it’s easier to keep track of people that way. If you do go out in a huge group of people don’t be surprised if you lose them, but always try to keep an eye out for your girls.

The Insta is what counts

Let’s not lie to ourselves, on Halloween night things get a little messier than usual, but what is most important to remember is the Instagram post. At the beginning of the night make sure you take enough pictures of your make up looking fresh and your costume looking put together, because we know the snapchats will not be as well put together.

A costume is not an invitation

Make it known that even if your dressed as a sexy whatever, a slutty whatever, or pant-less whatever, that isn’t an excuse for guys to get handsy. With all the recent discussion of “locker room talk” and other forms of dumbing down sexual assault your guard should always remain up.

It’s a marathon not a sprint

For Halloween, most people go out from Thursday to Saturday, usually on regular weekend you take a night off, but not on Halloween. With that in mind remember this is a weekend long event. You don’t want to get so trashed you end up having to skip a night. So drink like it’s a marathon and pace yourself, not like a sprint where you’re the one that doesn’t make it out of the pre-game.

Save your cash

When picking out a costume try to think of something that can be made using clothes you already have in your closet. Or if you are a girl who is skilled in the art of makeup there are so many different Pinterest ideas for costumes that are just done with face paint.

Race isn’t a costume

Dressing up as other people’s cultures is offensive no matter how it is done. Don’t be that girl on Halloween appropriating someone else’s culture. So if you see a friend dressing up in a sombrero, in blackface, as a Native American or anything along the lines of dressing up as a different race as a “costume” tell them to change before they go out for the night.

Keep an eye out for the clowns

This recent epidemic of clowns running around forests, campuses and other places is only going to get worse on Halloween. It might just be a person being funny and making a joke about America having a “clown problem” but it’s still very scary. Keep an eye out for these crazy people and just in case maybe wear shoes you can run in.

Make it count

Halloween is literally the one time a year you can look as crazy as you want and no one can judge you for it. Just remember everything you read here today and I promise you will have a Halloween to remember. One other thing…. this is an excuse to finally buy that huge bag of candy without any funny stares, take advantage of this!

Samantha Cedano

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State