diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Not To Do Your Freshman Year at ISU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

School is back in session, which means a whole new batch of freshmen. Based off personal experience of actual ISU students, here are some tips on what NOT to do. 

Don’t sport your lanyard around your neck: You may think it’s cool because you’re officially “so college” but you might as well get “freshman” tattooed on your forehead.

Don’t dress to impress: This just screams freshman! Everyone else will be dressed as comfortable as possible meanwhile you’re walking the quad in heels and a mini skirt. Save it for the weekend!

Don’t buy your books in advance: Try and wait until syllabus week because most likely the books online are wrong, or not required at all. Trust me, I learned that the hard way.

Don’t take your meal plan for granted:  “Don’t use your flex dollars so much in the beginning because it runs out fast and you’ll cry that day in December when you want mac and cheese and a delicious southwestern turkey sandwich but you used all your flex on Subway pizzas that you regret eating at 2am.” – Alyssa Ortiz, Junior

Don’t be shy: “Branch out! Join groups or clubs, Rush, meet people besides those on your floor!” – Madeline Totten, Junior

Don’t go anywhere alone: “Although ISU is a safe place you cannot trust everyone. Make sure to always have someone with you because you never know what could happen.” – Melissa Irving, Senior

With these helpful tips on what not to do your freshman year will be a breeze! Enjoy, and share with the rest of your friends!   

Danielle Farrow

Illinois State

Celina Porretta

Illinois State