What it’s like Seeing The Best Chicago Artists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

My feels when seeing Chance the Rapper and Kanye in one word: magical. This past weekend I got to see two very amazing artists from Chicago at a festival in Queens, New York and it was everything I hoped and dreamed for! 

Chance opened with his VMA nominated hit “Angels”. Being from Chicago and hearing this song played first made me literally burst into tears (the fact that I love his music really doesn’t help controlling my tears).     

About three songs into the show he gave himself a little intro by saying “My name is Chance the Rapper and I’m from Chicago, Illinois. And I’m opening up for Kanye West who is also from Chicago Illinois”. At this point I was screaming at the top of my lungs.

During his performance he brought out his puppets who are big parts of his Magnificent Coloring World Tour. 

He put one of the most amazing shows I have ever seen and toward the end of the show colorful confetti sprayed all over the crowd. An awesome end to an awesome show. 

Lyrically Chance is one of the greatest artist of our time and seeing him perform live made it solidify the fact that all around he is just a genuinely great artist and I can’t wait to hear his new mixtape, which hopefully will be coming out soon. 

About an hour after Chance finished his performance Kanye was supposed to go on. He was a bit late but I had no problem waiting for the king. He opened up with “Father Stretch My Hands Pt 1”. So obviously it was lit.

He carried on throughout the show playing songs from “Jesus Walks” to his new controversial hit “Famous”. He performed in the most Pablo fashion. The auto-tune, the orange lights, and the Pablo dancing, made it everything.

Although the performance did get cut short due to the frightening robbery that happened to Kim Kardashian during the performance, he put on an unforgettable show. 

These two put on a show of a life time and it was an honor to be able to be apart of it. Thank you to Chance and Kanye for making me cry tears of joy!

Samantha Cedano

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State