Weird Dreams That You Are Having and What They Mean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Dreams are a way for your brain to tell you what is going right or wrong in your life. Your dreams can be weird and can make you confused on what is going on in your brain. Here are ten common things you dream of and what they represent.

1. Applications

Dreaming about filling out applications means you are lacking something in your life. Pay attention to what application you are filling out because it could help you realize what you are missing in your life.

1. Butterflies

Seeing a butterfly in your dream means you are undergoing some sort of transformation in your life, while seeing two butterflies suggests romance and a long and happy marriage. If you see more than two, it symbolizes acceptance, growth, inspiration, and freeness. If you catch or kill a butterfly, it suggests you are being too superficial.

1. Cliffs

Dreaming that you are standing at the edge of a cliff means you have reached an increased level of understanding and a fresh point of view. Dreaming that you or someone else is falling off of a cliff means you are going through a difficult time and are afraid of what is ahead of you. Climbing up a cliff in a dream suggests you are ambitious and driven.

1. Scanners

To see or use a computer scanner in your dreams symbolizes a lack of originality and a tendency to mimic other’s ideas and beliefs. To hear a police scanner in your dream suggests something is troubling you and needs your immediate attention.

1. Dandelions

Dreaming of seeing dandelions symbolizes pleasant and joyous surroundings. You are very comfortable with where you are in your life. Blowing on dandelions in your dreams represents fleeting moments. You are trying to recapture a certain time in your life and feel like that time is passing you by.

1. Ducks

Seeing a duck in your dream could mean a couple different things. If the duck is flying, it symbolizes your spiritual freedom, but if the duck is swimming, it represents your subconscious. Seeing a white duck signifies falsehood and deceit, and seeing a two-headed duck suggests that you need to be more grounded.

1. Gasoline

Gasoline in your dreams symbolizes energy and spirituality. So if you are running out of gas in your dreams, that could mean you are wearing yourself out. If you are filling up your car in the dream, you need to take better care of yourself, and if someone else if pouring gas on you, it implies you have an issue inside of you, and you are holding in that anger.

1. Library

When you are in a library in your dreams, it means you are in search of knowledge and are hungry for ideas. If you can’t find a book in the library or it is checked out, it represents a certain aspect of yourself that is lacking enrichment or is under developed.

1. Netflix

Dreaming about looking for something on Netflix is a way of showing a recap of what is happening in your life. You should pay attention to what the titles are to get some information on your life. 

1. Marriage

Dreaming of marriage signifies commitment, harmony, and transition. Dreaming of a proposal suggests some situation will take a turn for the worst. Marrying your ex in a dream means you have accepted aspects of that relationship and have learned from those past mistakes. It can also mean that a current relationship has things in common with your past relationship, but you are aware of these similarities and won’t make the same mistakes.

Dreams can mean a lot of different things and aren’t always what they seem. If you have a weird dreams and want to understand what your brain is telling you, check out a dream dictionary and get an idea of what you are trying to understand.

Contributor account for Illinois State