Upcoming Events in Bloomington-Normal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I was recently asked a question by one of my professors who is from out of state, “What fun stuff is there to do in Bloomington-Normal?”.  I sat in her office almost dumb-founded that I had no idea how to answer the question. I’ve lived here for almost four years and the only thing I could mutter back to her was, “Well, Uptown is kind of cool”. It was in that moment I realized I had absolutely no clue about what fun stuff there was to do in the community (and that I possibly had no life). As a senior, I wish I had taken more time to explore Bloomington-Normal and the fun events it provides for it’s people. We, as ISU students, should venture outside of our comfort zones and experience the fun that BloNo offers. Have no plans for the upcoming weeks? Take a look at the list below to find out what fun stuff is happening in town!

1. St. Jude Walk/Run to End Childhood Cancer at Hancock Stadium (9/24)

This coming Saturday at 10 A.M., Hancock Stadium will be hosting the Bloomington-Normal area’s St. Jude Walk/Run to End Childhood Cancer. It’s not too late to join a team or create your own! It’s $10 to register and if you reach the fundraising goal of $100, then you get a free t-shirt. There will be live entertainment at the event along with some fun activities. All money raised will be going to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, where the patients don’t receive a bill for any of their treatment.  

2. Medici Oktoberfest in Uptown (9/24)

Come join Medici’s first ever Oktoberfest benefitting the Normal Rotary Club. Starting at 2 P.M. and ending at 10 P.M., go enjoy Oktoberfest brews (must be 21+), traditional German fare, and live polka music in Uptown! A $5 donation is suggested at the door. All while this is going on, Uptown will be hosting their Block Party and Bike Rodeo for children in front of the Children’s Discovery Museum. It’s a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon with your friends while still being close to campus!

3. Downtown Bloomington Association Farmers’ Market and Artists’ Alley in Downtown Bloomington(every Saturday)

Free on a Saturday morning? Head to downtown Bloomington from 7:30 A.M. until 12:00 P.M. to enjoy a free admission farmer’s market. Not only can you buy locally grown farm products, but you also get to enjoy the company of local artisans of prepared goods and fine arts, musicians, and community organizations. The farmer’s market is a great way to get healthy food in our local community.

4. Illinois State University’s Homecoming Parade/ Football Game (10/8)

Come join Illinois State University in celebrating our Homecoming. The Homecoming parade starts at 10:00 A.M. on the corner of College Avenue and University Street. A variety of RSOs and community groups will be walking in the parade that morning. All day that Saturday, you can enjoy tailgating in the lots around Hancock Stadium. Kick off is at 2:00 P.M. against the Youngstown State Penguins. Go support your Redbirds!

5. ShakesFEAR at Ewing Cultural Center (10/27-10/29)

Take a trip back in time to visit the characters of Shakespeare’s work. They will send shivers down your spine and make you leave feeling scared to sleep. The event is a 30-minute haunted trail around the property and a scary walk through the Theatre. Others have explained it as if you are walking through an actual performance. You are set in the scene and it feels very real. The tours start from the Courtyard and leave every 10 minutes starting at 7:00 P.M. The last tour leaves at 9:30 P.M. Don’t miss this opportunity to experience the talent of those in Bloomington-Normal all while being spooked!

Amber Allison

Illinois State

Student at Illinois State University. Memeber of Delta Delta Delta sorority. Online shopping addict. Obsessed with coffee.
Contributor account for Illinois State