This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Since Saturday Night Live’s Weekend Update Summer Edition aired Tina Fey’s cameo a little over a week ago, I probably watched that 6 minute clip about 12678 times; furthermore, if you haven’t seen it, do yourself a favor and watch this golden video. Though if you don’t have 6 minutes to spare, I’ll give you a quick recap.

Basically, the wonderful Mrs. Fey comes out to talk about all the HORRIFIC neo-Nazi rallies that have taken place in Charlottesville, VA. As a University of Virginia alum, I could only imagine how terrible she feels that these events are taking place in a town she once called home.

Tina, (not sure if we’re on a first name basis but I’m going with it), is expressing her terror for all of the events that have occurred there. So, as a way to help cope with all of this madness she suggests “sheet caking,” which is whenever you feel sad about all the terrible, racist people out there, eat an entire sheet cake, then she continues to consume about half a sheet cake on live television; a woman after my own heart.

Yes, of course this video is hilarious like everything Tina Fey does,

but the reason I cannot stop watching it is because I relate to her frustration more than anything else.

One quote from the video particularly hits me hard, “I know we are asking ourselves, ‘what can I do?’ I’m just one person.” Unfortunately that’s exactly how I feel. Whenever I turn on the news there is about a 97% chance that I will cry, because my heart cannot take this kind of hatred. It leaves me feeling weak, helpless and disgusted with the world.

Since both the terrible hate crimes committed and seeing this video, I will not only be sheet caking very often this school year, but will also be putting an effort to make the world a better place. I am only one person, but I have decided that I am going to be doing one act of kindness a day. I will be starting small, with things like compliments to others around me, helping out loved ones, or if my bank account allows for it, paying for the person’s drink behind me at Starbucks.

Kindness is an endless choice of options. I hope you all join me, because if I don’t at least try to counteract all the hate that’s happening right now, it might destroy me. So put on your helping hats people, buy yourself a sheet cake, and put some much needed love into the world.

Karys Crandell

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State