Style and Comfort: The Ultimate Combination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The everyday dilemma of the average college girl seems to be, “what am I going to wear today?” The outfit has to be cute and comfortable. As much as we want to give in to baggy sweatpants, we can’t deny that looking cute every once in a while makes you feel good. Yoga pants and oversized t-shirts have taken over our everyday wardrobe and it’s time to make a change for spring and summer. Here are this season’s staples:

The plaid shirt

The plaid shirt, or almost any button down shirt for that matter, is so versatile. If it’s oversized that’s even better. Tuck an oversized, plaid shirt into the front of your jeans or wear a tank underneath and leave it unbuttoned (like the photo). To give your look a personal touch, add a solid scarf and a beanie to give the look an edge, if that’s your style. When it starts to get warmer out you could pair the plaid shirt with high-waisted shorts and leave a few of the bottom buttons undone so you can tie it around your waist.

Boyfriend jeans

This loose fitting jean is the perfect compromise of comfortable and cute. You can pair it with flats or wedges and a cute tee and you’re ready to go. It’s the ultimate relaxed outfit. If you’re going to be somewhere sunny and feel like adding an extra oomph, put your hair in a messy side bun and add a straw fedora.

Skater skirt

A fun, flirty silhouette like this one can be paired with cropped tops, button downs, bustiers, t-shirts or tanks. It’s a look you can dress up or down and still look super put together. Skater skirts are part of an easy equation in the world of fashion.

All three of these pieces are versatile and define what a staple pieces is. If done right, each one will do great things for your wardrobe. Wearing skinny jeans can be annoying if they’re too tight, and sweatpants and yoga pants are getting old fast, so amp up your closet with a few key pieces to make your everyday outfits exciting again to wear this spring.

Miranda Jones

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State