samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Study Abroad 101: 3 Tips for Travelers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Lucky for you, I made the mistakes so you don’t have to… You’re welcome!

Tip #1. DO NOT and I repeat do not over pack! The best advice I could possibly give you is to pack half your crap and twice the mullah! Seriously, you don’t realize how difficult it is to haul around two 50-pound suitcases throughout an airport, not to mention hauling them across cobble stone streets in a foreign country for a few blocks until you find your apartment, and that’s not all. Just imagine pulling 100 plus pounds of luggage up God knows how many flights of stairs! Then, when you eventually get inside your apartment, guess what happens next? You’re the last one who arrives to the new place a.k.a you’re the one who gets stuck with the worst and smallest room in the crib. Only to realize, your fashion is not up to par (and even if it is) you’ll end up shopping for new clothes anyway.

Tip #2. How to avoid this over packing chaos? Prepare, take the time to mix-match multiple outfits with no more then a couple weeks worth of clothes (scary, I know). Shoes, this can vary depending on when and where you’re going. To be safe, I would say one pair of boots, sneakers, heels, and sandals – you can buy more when you get there and believe me you will. Toiletries, make a list of every single item you use to get ready for your day and night. Then cross of everything on the list you can buy when you reach your host country. For example: towels, Q-tips, cotton balls, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, etc. you can buy almost anywhere in the world, so don’t pack that. On the other hand, your absolute, must have, favorite face wash might be a bit tricky to find and when I say “a bit tricky” I mean, you won’t find it; so pack that. Hair products, such as curling irons & straighteners you can also buy in your host country; do not bring your $100 chi, so it can burnout due to the voltage difference. I know, this is a tedious and strategic process but do it anyway. I promise you will be thankful in the end. With that said, pick and choose wisely ladies & gents… and remember; less is more.

Tip #3. Be smart when it comes to where you pack your money. Pick pocketing is a huge problem in Europe. Keep your money on you but in various places. For example, keep some money in your shoes, keep some in different pockets of your purse or bag, keep smaller bills in your jean pockets, etc. By the way, most shops don’t accept credit cards, so even though it’s conveniently tempting never have all your money in one spot, especially, if you’re carrying large amounts of cash. You’ll be sorry and poor if you get pick pocketed and the thief got away will all your cash; you’ll be switching that type D visa to a working visa, oops! In general, you need to be much more aware when you are traveling it’s different then being in the States. You constantly need to be cautious of who’s around you and where your belongings are. People always think “it won’t happen to me” but it will happen to you if you are not careful. Don’t allow yourself to be a target, it’s bad enough us Americans stick out like a sore thumb so don’t make it even more easy for them & stay alert. These are just three simple tips to help make your traveling experience less stressful!

MikylaMoya

Illinois State

Currently studying how to become the next Giuliana Rancic... I mean I'm a Broadcast Journalism major minoring in International Studies and Sociology.
Celina Porretta

Illinois State