This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

My “chillabus” week was anything but chill. I know all of you out there are already feeling the pressure of your next semester here at school. No more just laying in your comfy bed at home, no more binge watching Gossip Girl or The Office on your Netflix (at least now when you’re not doing homework), and certainly no more home cooked holiday food.

We’re back at school! And guess what? It’s like my brain totally forgot how to function since we had that entire month off. If you’re like me then you’re excited to be back because, you’re ready to see friends and have your crazy nights back once again. Like we love our “rents”, but our freedom means so much more.  Serena knows our struggle. 

First, take a deep breath and start your semester off right:

Don’t play any games! What I mean is, you don’t want to play catch up right before the midterm because you slacked your first couple weeks in. Many people do this and don’t realize how this effects them later on. If you’ve got to read a chapter, read the chapter for that class. If you know you have an online assignment due a week in advance, plan a time to have it done a day or two before. You and I both know ReggieNet may or may not be working in your favor when you want to turn it in five minutes before it’s due.

If you’re struggling with a general education course, sign up for tutoring in the Visor Center before you’re past the point of no return. I’ve taken one and the classes really do help one to understand the concepts better and get to know others in your classes.

Speaking of others, make friends with the others who are in your class. It’s good to have those people you can study with, ask questions to, or chat together about the assignment you have due tomorrow.

Also, like mostly everyone right now, go to the gym. It’s free for all students and it’s the perfect time of year to really focus on yourself and distress. It may be packed, but whether or not you go with a friend, take a class at least once a day. There are so many to choose from and the hours are open throughout the day. You’ll feel more accomplished everyday knowing you did something that benefits you physically. It’s the worst to feel sluggish.

And FYI everyone’s getting sick really quick. Soon your lecture hall will be filled with sneezes, coughs, and I hate to say it, snotty noses. Keep yourself well and do what you can to avoid the sick season.

At this point, I’m beating a dead horse. I’m not telling you anything you haven’t heard before, but like most of us out there, we all need a reminder once in a while. It’s a good feeling to be back, just make sure you’re doing everything you can to make yourself a success this upcoming semester and start your school year off right! 

Emily Long

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State