Spring Cleaning: What to Get In and What to Get Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The fact that we can now use the word “spring” in our daily vocabulary again is reason alone to celebrate. Mother Nature has definitely given us an up-swing when it comes to the weather. Can you believe that 73-degree day we had last week? Along with the transitioning of the weather, there is also some necessary transitioning that needs to happen in our closets. This always gets me excited for the new color palettes (even though lets be real, a lot of my wardrobe is still going to be black and grey), less layers, and the blissful thought that our feet can finally see the light of day again in our favorite sandals. I am one of those people that at the first sign of warmer weather, I run to my closet and computer to see what needs to go and what needs to be brought in. With that, I decided to share with you some tips on getting your spring cleaning started and a few spring staples to add in.

1. Before you do anything: light your favorite candle, turn on your favorite tunes, and pour yourself a glass of wine (if you are 21 of course). You wouldn’t think that lighting a candle and putting on your favorite music right before you start cleaning would be a big deal but let me tell you, it makes all the difference. When you have a good ambiance, it seems the best work comes out of it. I always have a tough time giving up some of my once coveted fashion items, but I have realized that having a good work environment will help clear your mind and promote clear-cut decisions.If you need further back up, pull a Carrie Bradshaw and grab your favorite gals for a second opinion!

2. Take those winter jackets out of your line-up! I know that the Midwest weather can be a little scary, having us in shorts and tees one day and bundled up in a parka the next, but let’s hope that this up-swing continues and the days of those north face knee-length marshmallow jackets are coming to an end. I have a couple of winter coats that I have already left at home and let me tell you …it’s such a good feeling. Of course being a Midwesterner, I still have a couple of light jackets on hand but the amount of closet space I have after taking those bulky coats out qualifies for celebratory measures. It may be due to my idea that if we dress like it’s nice out Mother Nature will keep playing along, but I mean, wishful thinking.

3. If it still has the tags on it from when you purchased it six months ago…it’s a no brainer. Easily clear items like these from your closet racks that have accumulated layers of dust on them from when you first purchased them. Yes, I even mean those “it will fit one day” items. Without you even realizing it, they are placing un-necessary pressure on you and are ultimately taking up space in your closet. Replace it with something that will make you feel comfortable and empowered and will give you the positivity to reach your further goals. Lastly, clear out those cheap impulse buys. The items that you thought were kind-of cute, but really since its five dollars I have to buy it right? WRONG. Your closet should define the essence of you and what you stand for, and anything that is in there that is wishy-washy or falls into the “it sort-of fits my style” category, you are better off without it.

With those hacks in mind and the extra closet space you now have, we can start adding some new spring wardrobe essentials!

1. The perfect accessory for those (hopeful) sunny days ahead of us.

2. A new pair of kicks for those long days of classes or working up a sweat at the gym.

3. A fun graphic tee that states your interests. You can obviously see what mine is.

4. A midi-pleated skirt that is perfect for those sunny-saturday excusrions. 

5. A chic white blouse that pairs perfectly with your favorite denim and sunnies. 

6. A colorful cropped kimono. This one would be a perfect statement piece for those days when you want to keep it casual.

7. A neutral flowy frock that is perfect for those days when you are rushing out the door. 

Best wishes spring cleaning ladies, we are in it together! HCXO!

Cassie Zimmer

Illinois State

Hi! My name is Cassie Zimmer and I am a writer for HerCampus Illinois State. I am so excited to have just joined an awesome group of ladies to share my love of writing with. I am a fashionista who loves keeping up to date with the latest trends in the fashion industry. I hope to write articles that will be enjoyable for the fans of HerCampus to read and will hopefully take something away from the information I provide.
Contributor account for Illinois State