Sigma Chi Derby Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The Sigma Chi fraternity took philanthropy to a whole new level last week with their event, Derby Days! Derby Days is an annual philanthropy held by all Sigma Chi chapters across the nation. This weeklong, philanthropic event involved sororities on campus competing in a variety of activities and sporting events; all events helped raise money for the Huntsman Cancer Institution.

A Sigma Chi, Jon M. Huntsman Sr., first established the Huntsman Cancer Foundation in 1995. In December of 2012, Sigma Chi designated the Huntsman Cancer Foundation as its charity of choice.  All the funds raised from Derby Days goes towards funding cancer research, cancer treatment and education programs, and patient-care facilities. Huntsman challenges all of the chapters of Sigma Chi to compete to donate the most money possible every year, with an overall goal of one million dollars. 

This year, the Theta Rho chapter of Sigma Chi at ISU was able to raise over $7,000 through generous donations of all the sororities and their sponsors.

“Derby Days is a great philanthropy because not only do we raise money for charity, but we also have fun in the process,” says one of the judges Jeff Allen. “This provides an easy way to make new friends and develop further relations with other members of Greek life on campus.”

Besides raising money for the Huntsman Cancer Foundation, they also teamed up with the American Red Cross for a blood drive. Sororities were awarded double points for donating and were able to collect 61 pints of blood!

“My favorite event to judge was the volleyball tournament,” says another judge Kyle Caldwell. “It was fun to see the competitive side of the sororities.”

“I loved competing in events but also knowing at the end of the week we raised money to help cancer research,” stated Sophomore Haley Roti. “No matter what place a house came in, we all helped a great cause!”

As Derby Days continues in years to come, Sigma Chi hopes to raise more money and more awareness of the Huntsman Cancer Foundation!

Congratulations to the Delta Zeta sorority for taking first place! 

Alyssa Ortiz

Illinois State

Celina Porretta

Illinois State