This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Flashback to a year ago: Shacora Hawkins was a student in my class and was working hard every day towards her goals. One year later, this incredibly driven young woman has been able to achieve those goals while also making time to continue to explore everything Illinois State University has to offer her. Not only is she involved on campus as the Special Events Coordinator for BSU, but also as a member of NAACP and ASA. She also works as an Off Campus Student Ambassador in the Dean of Students Leadership and Community Connections Office, a Dean of Students receptionist and a Boys & Girls Club Program Assistant. This past fall, she was also an undergraduate teaching assistant for SOC 109. With this determination, there isn’t anything that can stop her from achieving her dreams. Check out our interview below to get an inside look into the life of this week’s Campus Profile!

Name: Shacora Hawkins

Age: 19

Year in school: Sophomore

Hometown: Chicago, IL

Major: Political Communications

Minor: Latin American and Latino/Studies

Her Campus Illinois State: You, my dear, are quite the busy bee! Tell us what a day in the life of you is like.

Shacora Hawkins: Honestly, I don’t even have time to think about all that I do. This semester so far has went by so fast. No matter what though, I listen to music throughout the day. Especially dance hall/Caribbean music- it makes me dance which calms me!

HC ISU: Where can we find you when you’re not buzzing between classes, organizations, and jobs?

SH: Definitely in the bone! If I’m not at the bone, then you’ll find me in my kitchen. I love to cook!

HC ISU: Now that you’re about halfway done with your sophomore year, let’s reflect: what are some of your major accomplishments in college so far? How have they changed the course of your college career?

SH: A few of my major accomplishments include my current role in BSU. Last year as a program coordinator, I attended our annual Black Heritage Ball. The event was so big and glamourous; I wanted a shot at organizing it, which I am doing now! It’s February 28 in the Brown Ballroom, and about 250 people are expected to attend. This position has lead me to explore hosting events at ISU. I’ve done a few small events at home so I thought I give the major leagues a try!

Another accomplishment would be landing my job as an off campus student ambassador. My job is to be a resource to students looking for places to live off campus and to familiarize them with the Dean of Students Office. Another accomplishment would be having three jobs and being a full time student. I love to set examples for my peers. I am also the oldest of four girls, and I want to show my sisters that you can come out on top, even when the odds are against you.

HC ISU: According to your social media, you have some major wanderlust! What is one of your favorite destinations and why?

SH: It would have to be St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. It is so beautiful and mountainous. Also, pretty much anywhere on the island, you can see the surrounding islands like St. Martin and Puerto Rico, my motherland! It’s also a very diverse place; you can find people from other Caribbean islands, Europeans, and so on. It’s so picturesque too. It’s one of those places you imagine to be on a postcard!

HC ISU: Let’s plan your dream trip! Where would you go, who would be there, and what would you do?

SH: My dream trip would be traveling to Trinidad, Tobago and Dubai. My mom and my sister would have to be there. They’re my travel buddies. In Trinidad, I would spend one full day on the beach, drinking and eating the local food. In Dubai, I would love to swim at one of its tallest hotels!

Chloe Kasper

Illinois State

Raquel Ugalde

Illinois State

Public Relations major at Illinois State University. Chapter Correspondent for Her Campus Illinois State University.