Self tanners to start your summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If tanning beds aren’t for you, try one of these self tanners that are known to work!

L’OREAL Sublime Bronze Luminous Bronzer
I have also personally tried this self-tanning lotion as well, and definitely recommend it. It rubs on tan leaving your skin not only tan but also shiny/sparkly. This lotion should be used daily to achieve the desired level of tan and should be reapplied 1-2 times a week to maintain. Another great thing about this self tanner is that it does not leave a bad odor on your skin. Its retail price is $9.47.

Banana Boat Summer Color Self-Tanning Lotion
This is my personal favorite and I use it almost every week! It rubs on tan and if rubbed in the right way, it will not leave any streaks! It comes in several shades which allow you to pick whichever is right for you. Your desired level of tan will appear within 2 to 3 hours from the time it is first applied. The color will last up to 2 weeks, but if you want the color to really l
ast it’s a good idea to reapply 1 to 2 times a week. Its retail price is $6.47 and can be found at most stores.

Neutrogena Micro-Mist Airbrush Sunless Tan
This hands free self tanner has been known to go on extremely evenly and give its user an all-over flawless tan. It also comes in several shades which allow you to choose whichever is right for you. Once it’s applied your sunless tan will develop in 2 to 4 hours and last for days. It is also scented so that it will not leave your skin smelling badly. Its retail price is $9.9.

Sephora Moisturizing Bronzing Body Lotion
Get soft skin and a beautiful, summertime glow with this multi-action formula. This lotion gives you a great tan without a greasy effect, and your skin will be instantly nourished with long-lasting moisture. The radiant glow intensifies with each application, so you develop a subtle, even tan day after day. Its retail price is $16.00 and is sold online or in stores at Sephora.

Too Faced Tanning Bed in a Tube

Use this instant bronzing and self tanning lotion for a quick bronze fix. Or use it daily to build your sun-less tan. If rubbed in properly you will not be left with any streaks and it will not rub off on your clothing. Not only will you be left with smooth, tan skin, but your skin will smell delicious because of its “Tropically-tinged scent.” Its retail price is $28.00 online at “Too Faced.”

Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer
This daily moisturizer will gradually give your skin a natural and healthy looking tan, and it lasts twice as long as the leading sunless tanner lotion. It also infuses your skin with a blend of effective moisturizers, antioxidants and Vitamin E to keep it looking healthy. To maintain a healthy glow it is recommended to use it daily. Its retail price is $7.87.

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.