timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Reasons Why I Want to Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The number one thing on my bucket list is to travel. It seems unrealistic now since I am in college and am currently living the broke college kid life, but someday, when I am older I want to pack my bags and go. My plan is to work in the summer and save up some money so I can study abroad in Italy my Junior year! There is something about traveling that excites me. Whether it is going on a vacation to Florida, or to Ireland to see my family, I always feel like a little kid waking up on Christmas morning. Many adults urge young people to travel while they can, and it is because life is too short not to. St Augustine said, “the world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” The world has so much to offer and the fact that there are places I have yet to go and people I have yet to meet creates this urge inside of me to travel.

Once I open my book, I hope that some of these things will happen:

I hope to meet new people and be fascinated by their lifestyle.

I hope to have my breath taken away by beautiful cities and the views they have to offer.

I hope to try new foods and enjoy the tastes that you could never get in America.

I hope to step out of my comfort zone and grow as a person.

Most importantly, I hope to come back with these experiences and live with them.

Ultimately, these types of traveling experiences shape you as a person and helps you connect with others. It helps you have new perspectives of the world, and makes you appreciate all that you have. Traveling isn’t about only about getting the perfect pictures, or trying new things, or sightseeing. It’s so much more than that. It’s about living in that exact moment and feeling alive. It’s about taking in the scenery and everything around you, and knowing that you will remember this moment for the rest of your life. Be present wherever you go, and enjoy every second of it.

Being on one page for the rest of your life doesn’t sound appealing. Turn the next page and travel. It doesn’t have to be out of the country. It could be a different state, or even 30 minutes away from your house. Go out and experience the world and go to places that are worth adding to the pages of your book. Always remember that to travel is to live.

Contributor account for Illinois State