This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Being that my significant other is in Basic Training, our way of communicating is very different than just a simple text. I learned that writing letters is a bit more different than what I am normally accustomed too. It was nerve-wracking at first, but after a while you realize it’s not so bad. There are some good things to writing letters that most people may not be aware of.

Pro: I think the biggest plus of writing letters is that you get to be creative.  I know for me, I would kiss and write bible verses on my letters as a way to do something different. You could also send pictures, (APPROPRIATE ONES), drawings and many other personal items. Think outside the box and apply it to what the other person may like. Make it as fun as possible for the both of you.

Con: On the downside it can sometimes be time consuming. First, you have to find the nearest post office to get stamps and envelopes. Then, you have to actually take time out of your day to sit and write the letters. I mean nowadays you can just send a message at the click of a button.

Pro: It can really bring your relationship closer. If your writing letters to someone you love, majority of the time you can expect for them to be longer. You actually take the time to write something meaningful in a letter versus a text you usually send right away. You definitely build a deeper bond with that person especially because you are not with them. 

Con: You also have to wait for them to reply to your letters. In my case, sending letters out takes a lot longer than receiving them. For example, his letter could take 3-4 days to get to me, versus mine being 1-2 weeks. I know it sucks, but that is why HAVING A CALENDAR IS VERY HANDY LADIES. Especially if you want them to receive a letter on a certain day, planning in advance is very helpful.

Pro: It can have a huge impact on a person’s life. That one simple message or that 2-page-letter could really brighten someone’s day. Basic Training is one of the toughest parts of being a soldier so a letter can really be motivating to them. My boyfriend said in his letter that he cried because he really needed to hear from me.

Con: I like to think that it is a bit more formal. You know how sending a text you are able to backspace and abbreviate almost everything. Well, in a letter, it’s different. If you are a grammar police like me, you are very careful about how you write things out, because if you mess up then you have to start all over again. I mean who wants pen marks all over their letter. These letters are handwritten, so that means your handwriting needs to be on point! If you really want to kick it up a notch, cursive writing is even better.

Even though it may not be what you’re used to, the most important aspect of writing a letter is that it’s exciting. Adding those final touches and sealing it is probably the best feeling after. It can be an accomplishment. Once it’s out, it’s out, and you get to sit back and wait for what the other person will say. These are memories you will cherish for the rest of your life.

Ariel McGee

Illinois State