Professor Andrew Matthews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It is not often that you come across someone in life and think, “Wow, they’ve truly done it all.” I had the privilege to sit down and talk to one of ISU’s most beloved professors, Andrew Matthews. Although this 36 year-old man was born and raised in Normal, do not let that fool you. He is a well-traveled, sport fanatic, father who has a true obsession with Illinois State University. 

Name: Andrew Matthews

Teaches: POL 106/140

Relationship Status: Married

Favorite Food: Eggs

Bears or Packers: Neither – Steelers Fan

Salty or Sweet: Salty

Summer or Winter: Fall/Spring

Chocolate or Candy: Candy

Football or Basketball: Basketball

Favorite Hobby: Traveling

Her Campus ISU: Tell us about your childhood?

Andrew Matthews: I was raised two blocks from ISU in a typical Mid-western protestant family. I was an all-American Kid: athlete and straight A student. I can’t really say that I had a tough childhood, however, I did learn the value of a dollar young. From age 13 on, I had to work for what I wanted. It made me really independent and to never want to be in debt. I received my Bachelors degree and Masters degree at ISU and also spent some time working in the Navy.

HC ISU: What is something that people would be shocked to find out about you?

AM: I’m actually an introvert. 

HC ISU: How many years have you been teaching at ISU?

AM: Seven years, however, I started in communications. 

HC ISU: Favorite and least favorite thing about teaching?

AM: Favorite: I love being able to work on a campus and to have some influence on a person’s life when they are trying to figure out who they are. Least Favorite: The politics of it. 

HC ISU: Favorite place on campus?

AM: Redbird Arena

HC ISU: If you weren’t teaching, what would you be doing? 

AM: A pension trustee, a whiskey distiller, or move to Africa and work in an orphanage. 

HC ISU:  You tweeted, “Good or bad, right or wrong. I put my name on everything I say and do.” What does that really mean to you? 

AM: I own my mistakes. I think people who work with me knows that I am the first to deflect praise and the first to take blame. I ALWAYS put my name on everything I do. 

HC ISU: Why politics?

AM: Politics is my addiction and like many addictions I always ask myself, “Why do I do it?” I love the impact it has and the advocacy behind it. 

HC ISU: Can you explain the water walk?

AM: It started when I was in Ethiopia. I was driving on rural African roads and I saw all of these people carrying huge buckets and walking for miles to a watering hole. This is how they were getting their water and sometimes they would do this twice a day. I knew that I could do something to help so I started calling organizations. We work with Water to Thrive based out of Austin, Texas. The water walk is a way to show people what others have to go through just to get water.  It costs $5,000 to build one well and so far ISU has built three and a half. 

HC ISU: Tell us more about your kids and the adoption process.

AM: Isaiah is seven years old and his adoption process took around 18 months. He is feisty and equally obsessed with ISU basketball. Desta is three years old and her adoption process took around four and a half years because of changes in the laws. She was in an awful situation, and several favors had to be called in to get her as soon as possible.

HC ISU: Why adoption?

AM: I always knew that I wanted to adopt and my wife also completely agreed.  When god had other plans for us, we decided that adopting all of our children was the right thing to do. 

HC ISU: What type of father are you?

AM: I’m a very loving father but with that said; my kids know that we have rules. The three rules of my households are: “I love you, I always have your back and never say I can’t.” My wife does laugh though because she knows Desta, the youngest, has me wrapped around her finger.

Above Photo By: Chandi Kesler Photography

Grace Masching

Illinois State

Celina Porretta

Illinois State