The Perfect Summer Bucket List If You’re From Illinois

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I’m from Illinois, you’re from Illinois; everyone from Illinois knows there’s a couple of musts you have to do when it’s summer. Already we’re seeing the effects of this beautiful weather coming underway, so make your summer LIT by enjoying all of these fun things only us “Illinoisans” can.

1. Attending a Festival

Whether you’re going to Lollapalooza, Lake Shake or Spring Awakening, attending an annual Chicago concert is something you can’t go your whole summer without doing.

2. Going to Six Flags

Ahhh, the good ol’ memories of our childhood at Six Flags. When you’re with friends or family, going on a bunch of rollercoasters is awesome. Just imagine you’re creeping up slowly as you mount up to the highest point, wait… just as your past the point of no return, butterflies in the pit of your stomach make you jump with excitement because of the good time you’re having. You need one whole day designated just to going, but bring a wallet or prepare to leave the park and go back during lunch or dinner time. You know how expensive a bottled water can be there.

3. Go Camping

Nature, nature, nature. Do you smell that? That’s the clean, crisp fresh air of America. Take a few pals and do it! Stay the day or overnight in a cabin with a few good friends. These are the times we live for. You’re only young once so making memories like these are what you’ll remember for a life time.

4. Take a day trip to downtown Chicago

Downtown Chicago has millions of opportunities for you to take advantage of in your home state! See a play, attend a Second City comedy show, visit the bean, take a look at the Art Institute or even go to one of the many museums that are, dare I say it, even cheaper for college students. Whether you walk around the city or decide to just spend some time in one area, I’ve spent my whole life there and I still find myself doing something new ALL the time.

5. Go to the beach

Yes, we all love the beach – swimming, tanning, the whole shebang. Get out your bikinis, grab a few drinks and soak up the sun while dudes are busy throwing their Frisbees. Nothing’s better than on a scorching hot day going to the beach and cooling off.

6. See a Cubs or White Sox Game

We both know you HAVE to attend a baseball game this summer. It’s the American past time. I know you’ve been “dartying” a bit and I’m sure your jersey is lying there ready to be worn! Grab your girlies or guy pals, buy a ticket, and get ready to sit back while you eat a hotdog on a sunny weekday afternoon.

7. Sightsee at Starved Rock

Hike it! It seems as if everyone has been or is meaning to go to Starved Rock. It’s now prime time for doing physical activities outside so hike or simply walk a trail in your neighborhood woods to appreciate the season. Can you tell I am in LOVE with summer yet? Thank you mother nature.

8. Visit Springfield

Go back to your Illinoisan roots and visit the times of Lincoln. Our state is rich in history and summer should be filled with learning experiences outside of the classroom. Go to our capital and be a history buff for a day or two – you won’t regret it.

Emily Long

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State