People You Run Into Working Retail During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Those of us who are unlucky enough to work the long shifts at the mall during this holiday season know that there are a handful of people who you would rather not run into. Work and school have slowed down for the holidays; which leaves plenty of time for shopping. Here are a few key people that you will be sure to run into while being forced to work through that 8 plus hour shift:

16 year olds with no money

You will be able to spot the 16 year olds in the mall really easily. They travel in large groups and are carrying a Starbucks Frappuccino in their hands 9 out of 10 times. They got dropped off by their moms and have no real money to spend on anything in your store. So, basically it’s a waste of your energy to ask them if they need help finding anything.

Kids from high school

By now you haven’t seen these people for a good 3-4 years and you have been quite okay with that. The last thing you want to do is help them find the right pair of jeans or help them pick out a new sweater for their boyfriend. It’s best to dodge them and let your co-workers handle it for you.

Cute Grandmas

Grandmas are probably the most wonderful human beings in general, but when you work in retail they’re a great reminder that mall people are not all nuts. They always ask about your life as if they were actually related to you and you have no problem helping them find their granddaughter the perfect Christmas present.

Annoyed moms

They’ve been shopping for hours on end and they’ve had it up to here with the mall. They can’t find anything that their kids put on their Christmas list or the size that it’s supposed to be. They’re probably going to ask you if there are any coupons that can be applied and your answer is only going to annoy them more. The answer is no. It’s usually always no. Avoid the moms, if possible.

Whether you’re the retail worker, or the person shopping at the mall, just remember that everyone’s trying to have a happy holiday season. Shoot them a smile and do whatever you can to help each other out!

Allison O'Brien

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State