This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As I was reflecting on past Valentine’s Days, I realized that some fun stories can come from them…even though they weren’t so funny at the time. This article was inspired by my worst Valentine’s Day as a junior in high school when I was not only dumped after my date, but also went on to find out that I was cheated on the previous night on top of it! I have come a long way and so have the following students. Check out ISU’s Best and Worst Valentine’s Days below:

BEST

“I was on my way to a fancy dinner with the boyf, but we saw a sign at Qdoba that said if you kiss in front of the cashier you get a free burrito. Obviously we went there instead and that was probably my best Valentine’s Day to be honest.” – Lauren, junior

“One time in high school, I went on a V-Day date with my best friend’s twin brother just to make things uncomfortable for her. He bought me chocolates and everything. She still gets mad when I bring it up.” –Bailey, sophomore

“My boyfriend and I made a home-made heart-shaped pizza from scratch together and saw 50 Shades of Grey.” – Anonymous

“I broke my wrist on Valentine’s Day freshman year so my hot guy friend kissed me to distract me from the broken wrist… It was great.” – Hehe, junior

“I went to a date night with a guy who used to try and booty call me and my BFF at the same time freshman year (obviously always a fail on his part). During date night, I found out that the love of my life was puking at a different frat. So, I left date night to go take care of him and we slept on his futon together while he puked all night. Honestly, most romantic night of my life.” – Anonymous

“My freshman year I was single but had a guy “friend” that I would hang out with here and there. We both went out on Valentine’s Day and obviously met up later around roughly 2 a.m. No presents or commitment. Amazing.” – Anonymous

“In high school, a guy asked me out by saying ‘Be Mine?’ in Hershey’s kisses on my front porch. They were delicious. He was cool too.” – Anonymous

WORST

“I was trying to figure out what gift my boyfriend was getting me for Valentine’s Day, so I looked at his texts with one of my friends to snoop. When reading the texts, not only did I find out what my present was (a bracelet), I found out that he was debating to tell me he cheated on me before or after giving me the bracelet.” – Anonymous

“My high school boyfriend senior year gave me a Kit Kat and gum in a Walmart bag on Valentine’s Day while we were at school and then broke up with me the next day. Good times.” –Madeline, senior

“Last year, I got all ready for my V-Day plans and less than an hour before my boyfriend told me that he had to sober monitor when no party was actually happening at his frat house. I was all dressed up already so I obviously just went out to another fraternity.” – Jojo, junior

“Last Valentine’s Day, my boyfriend fell asleep by 11 p.m. in his room at his own date night.” – Lauren, sophomore

“Freshman year of college I was supposed to go to a Valentine’s date night with a guy I was seeing for his frat. He said he’d pick me up at 8 p.m. It was eventually past 8 p.m. and he wouldn’t text me back. Meanwhile, I looked on Instagram and saw that he brought another girl so I sat in my dorm all dressed up with no plans. Thanks for the text back at 3 a.m.!” – Alyssa, sophomore

“My high school boyfriend took me out to sushi for V-Day and thought one roll of sushi was enough for the both of us. When he dropped me off after dinner I went to Chipotle by myself. Some things never change…” – Natalie, senior

“In Kindergarten, a boy gave me a rose at a parent-chaperoned Valentine’s Day school dance. I was so embarrassed that I smashed a powdered donut on his head and then got pissed that I wasted the donut on him rather than eating it.” – Maddie, freshman

“My ex asked me out on Valentine’s Day…now I hate Valentine’s Day.” – Alyssa, sophomore

“In high school, my boyfriend got me Juicy perfume and a little set of lotions with a Tiffany necklace. I thought it was so cute but a little pricey for V-Day, and that night we went to an expensive restaurant. I was really appreciative up until I found out my “gifts” were stolen and he never paid for the dinner. So I returned everything and went to the restaurant and paid for it…” – Cassidy, sophomore

“One V-Day, my high school boyfriend told me to come over to his house for a surprise. I got there and he was playing video games. He forgot to finish his surprise. He made a heart out of candles on his patio and forgot to light them so I sat there for 20 minutes and lit them myself.” – Julia, senior

“In high school for V-Day, my boyfriend got me a lacy bra and matching underwear from Victoria’s Secret. Scandalous, I know. As soon as I got through the door my mom cornered me and asked me what I got from him. I hid the underwear under the tissue paper but the bra was not so fun to explain.” – Zoe, freshman

“Every year my mom sends me flowers on Valentine’s Day and every year I pray they are from someone other than her.” – Bailey, freshman

“It was my ex’s second time dumping me right before Valentine’s Day, but this time he felt bad about it so he decided to still take me out. We went to a movie about football (that I paid for) and he told me all about how it had been the best week of his life. He kept the gift I got him, told me we were over for good, dropped me off and drove away. Needless to say it was my favorite V-Day ever.” – Anna, junior

“Last year the guy I was seeing took me out to breakfast the morning of Valentine’s Day because he was “busy” that night. Later, I found him making out with another girl at Daddio’s so I then invited myself to a frat’s date night and went in my pajamas. Good times.” – Rachel, senior

“One year on V-Day I had to go to Health Services for pink eye. The doctor misdiagnosed me and said I needed to see an eye doctor immediately. My ex-boyfriend, who I had very recently broken up with, was the only one available at the time with a car on campus and up that early. So I spent Valentine’s Day at the eye doctor with pink eye and my ex boyfriend.” – Anonymous

“My boyfriend and I had plans to go see the move The Vow on V-Day. He invited his friend and his friend’s date to come too, so we all had plans to go together. That day, his friend’s date ditched him so he ended up being a really pouty third wheel. All he did was complain and we ended up having to comfort him the entire time as he sat between us and sobbed the entire movie.” – Katie, sophomore

And my personal favorite:

“In elementary school this guy named Brock gave me a ring for Valentine’s Day. The next day he had to ask for it back because his mom was looking for it… It was her wedding ring.” – Ale, sophomore

Let’s all hope this year’s Valentine’s Day goes smoother than some of these. 

Alexis Bauer

Illinois State

Lover of sarcasm and pizza.
Contributor account for Illinois State