An Open Letter to the Women who Didn’t Rush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Dear women who didn’t go through recruitment,

your life isn’t over, I promise.

So you didn’t rush, no need to panic, everything is fine, just breathe. You don’t need to feel like you won’t make any friends, or that you won’t meet any boys, or that your life is over. It’s not, I promise. Being in a sorority isn’t for everyone and if you know yourself well enough and you didn’t go through recruitment, don’t second guess yourself.

When it comes to making friends, yes in a sorority it is obviously easier to make friends because you are constantly around people, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make friends at all. Joining organizations is a great way to meet people because that shows you guys already have a common interest. Also, the people you meet in random situations or the people on your floor can become your closest friends.

If you’ve ever thought, I would join but it seems too expensive, you’re right. It is very costly and if saving money is important to you, then stick to your decision about not going through rush.

Now, let’s talk boys. You’re on a college campus, the idea of I’m not going to meet guys if I’m not in a sorority isn’t realistic. You can meet boys literally anywhere and everywhere. You’re gorgeous, girl. They will come to you!

What you should take from this is that you can have a great college experience without being in a sorority. If it is something you feel like you deeply missed out on and you know it’s for you, go for it, but if you just want to do it for the boys and the partying, don’t do it.

If you didn’t rush it’s more than okay. Just remember, stick to your gut feeling if you know it’s not for you. The friends and boys will come naturally. If you decide to go through recruitment, do it for the right reasons.

Sincerely, 

The College Women who aren’t in a sorority

Samantha Cedano

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State