An Open Letter to the Friends I’ve Made Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Dear Friends,

First, I would like to thank you for sticking with me even though every day you learn something even weirder about me. You’re a real trooper and for that I commend you. But seriously, thank you.

From leaving the home that beaconed familiarity, college has been an experience unlike any other. Together we’ve been able to create friendships I hold closer to my heart than you realize. From living in the comfort of my parent’s house, seeing my high school friends everyday, and somehow thinking I knew everything about the world, college came and it was a game changer.

With all those night outs and crazy new memories made together, there’s no group of people I’d rather be around than you guys, the ones who have witnessed myself doing insane things and laughed at the stupidest incidents.

College is a time about finding one’s self and this year, even though it’s been a game changer, it was made easier because I’ve had all of you to rely on. It may be because of how you helped me with homework when I didn’t understand, or could be due to the moments we all almost died of laughter, or even when we’ve all swooned over the hottest people and continued to get “fam dinners” at the dining hall. Our times together have formed friendships I hope to last for a lifetime.

Everyone has stories, but together we hold the best ones. College is filled with enormous amounts of people and somehow we all found each other to go to parties with, hangout like 24/7, and just about do everything together besides sleep (unless your roommate has a BF). No matter if our friendship is for a season or a lifetime, thanks for helping to make this year great and I can not wait for what’s to come.

I can look forward to the next years of our lives knowing I have you guys, people who are always there for me. Let’s start getting ready for our next year because we’re finally sophomores. Hallelujah!

Emily Long

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State