My Experience at Obama’s Farewell Address

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

On January 10th, 2017 President Barack Obama delivered his farewell address at McCormick Place in downtown Chicago. Receiving tickets for this event was a chaotic and stressful endeavor, but after driving to the city, running a few blocks, and waiting in successive lines of mass amounts of people for nearly four hours, it happened. I was able to attend this historic event with a few of my dearest friends and this is how it all went down – a day in the life of someone who saw Obama say goodbye.

First, we took the Metra into Union Station having just made the train by minutes. Seriously… we were dropping quarters as we paid to park and ran across the tracks just in time. I don’t know what it is about being early, but it’s just so boring sometimes. The adrenaline rush of being exactly on time makes everything more exciting.

When we arrived in the city it was a gloomy and foggy afternoon. They don’t call Chicago the windy city for nothing, as everyone was honestly battling the strong force with every step. Walking against such intense wind is one of the most humorous things to observe and experience. The mood was positive, despite the somber appearance. Strangers were struggling together, laughing together, as they all tried to get somewhere.

Unfortunately, we still had a long way to go. Once we climbed the stairs, scanned our tickets, went to the bathroom, and made it into the line, it was nearly four in the afternoon. While waiting for thousands of people to get through airport security checks, I observed everyone around me, talked to some, and was forced to overcome any thoughts of claustrophobia. I heard languages and accents of all kinds. Not everyone was from Chicago or Illinois. There were children dressed to impress in tiny bow ties and dresses and elderly folks with shirts from 2008 decorated with Obama’s name. Some folks were reading, studying and working in line. Some folks were alone in line and almost everybody had the same sense of anticipation.

Once we got through security, a long red, white and blue hallway guided us into the room. It felt remnant of the yellow brick road that Dorothy followed to the Emerald City of OZ. We entered into a dimly lit space where much of the area was dedicated to standing audience members. Few got seats and the president would face the press when giving his speech with us to his side. BJ the Chicago kid, delivered an outstanding performance of the national anthem that encompassed all of the emotions building up in the air.

At eight on the dot, Barack Obama was welcomed into the room. Although I couldn’t see closely or clearly with my own eyes 100% of the time, when the crowd roared for him my eyes welled up with tears. What we had all been waiting for was here. Just his presence was enough; let alone his inspiring and reflective words. The idea of seeing him in person comforted so many common people who have turned to him over the past eight years in times of tragedy and times of joy.

I didn’t vote for Obama in 2008 or 2012 because I hadn’t been of age. It truly was out of my control. As a citizen I had dreamed of being able to partake in elections, one of the greatest opportunities for anyone involved in a government founded on democracy. Watching Barack Obama in office throughout my youth has been riveting, as for many others now in young adulthood, and one of the biggest blessings to occur in my lifetime. To have this example to look up to – there are truly no words for the luck I feel. He has embodied parts of people that have never been represented or understood in our political system, he has imprinted diversity into our democracy honestly and accurately, and he has elected some of the most progressive views into our government that have changed an unfathomable amount of lives.

People screamed, “I love you,” as he spoke. He delivered words of hope. He delivered words of care. He delivered words that warned us to beware our faults and allow change to continue. When he said Michelle’s name, the crowd got so loud for so long that he was unable to talk over us. Him, and his first lady, smiled at each other silently while all we could do was clap and scream to express our thanks. His smile was big. His hair was grey. He looked and sounded like he did on TV, but better because he was right there in front of us. What I can tell you is that the most amazing part of being there was feeling united and equally empowered with every word he said.

Of course, everything must come to an end. The Obama administration couldn’t last forever, but the fact that it even began is something for all of us to be proud of. Some amazing things happened, like healthcare reform, climate change control and marriage legalization for all kinds of love. We are not perfect, our economy is up and coming, our crime rate isn’t squeaky clean and terrorism is always lingering, but we are better because of what has happened in the last two terms. We have learned that you can do anything, be anything, and achieve anything no matter who you are. We have learned that being powerful doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice kindness, humility, or humor. We have learned that we can make history, together as a country, and fight for what we believe in while being listened to and not ignored.

When his speech ended and the masses exited the room, there was only one thing that I knew.

What is in store for our country is uncertain but what we do have is hope and heart.

I can’t say it enough. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Thank you to the Obama family, administration and legacy. Thank you to the people that believe in and participate in our democracy.

Farewell doesn’t mean goodbye forever, it just means for a moment. For now, we are in a time of transition and that isn’t always a bad thing. We will prosper forward after one of the most outstanding presidents the country has ever seen. He gave us enough. This experience was something that I will remember forever and will go down in history long after we are gone and forgotten, and that is pretty special.

Katie Sall

Illinois State