Mike Williams, Mother Murphy’s owner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Are you ever walking in Uptown Normal and hear catchy music and not know where it’s coming from? Well, it’s most likely coming from Mike Williams, owner of Mother Murphy’s- an awesome store with a sensory overload! Next time you’re in the area, stop on by and check out all the cool things Mother Murphy’s has to offer!

HC: When was Mother Murphy’s opened?
Mike: Mother Murphy’s opened in 1968, around the time when the hippie movement was blooming across the country. The store was owned by two ladies Betty and Charlotte, who were experts at leather crafting. I was only 12 or 12 at the time, but I had older siblings so I was aware of what was going on. In 1979 I dropped out of high school and started working with Betty and Charlotte in 1981. After hanging out with college kids and playing at local bars, I made the decision to go back to college when I was around 26. I continued to work at Mother Murphy’s full time for minimum wage, went to school part time, and was raising a child. I ended up getting a 4 year degree in marketing 8 years later in 1989, with a minor in business administration. In 1985 Betty and Charlotte sold it to the landlord of the building who actually still owns it today. One year after graduating in 1990, I purchased the store from the second owner.

HC: Why do you like the location of your store?
Mike: Mother Murphy’s strives on the students in town. It’s a student baste stores. However, there isn’t a day that goes by without a customer coming in who proclaims they were here 20 years ago. They always say it’s been several decades since they’ve been there and they have big smile on their face because they are excited that we still exist. Over 30 years, I’ve seen all the product changes and different floor layouts, but we keep the same scene. Mother Murphy’s has a party feel to it. When you walk in there is a sensory overload, smell of incense, you’ll hear music, and see the skateboard shop (A separate entity, but is located within the same building.)

HC: What types of things does Mother Murphy’s sell?
Mike: The bulk of our store is devoted to decorative items, imagery, all kinds of posters from black light ones to the new modern 3-D ones, huge “giant posters, India print tapestries which feature hippie India print Mandela styles, posters of classic rock like Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, and the Beatles. There’s also tapestries, a lot of bohemian style purses, sterling silver rings, bracelets, earrings, and necklaces. There’s also a lot of home grown/crafted hemp jewelry. We have something called the Full Tilt Smoke Shop (which you have to be 18+ to enter) which includes everything for the hookah enthusiast, new functional art class pieces and old school water pipes and bongs.

HC: What is your favorite part of owning a store in Uptown?
Mike: I work an extreme amount of hours, usually every hour it’s open. I enjoy interacting with customers and I like the fact that one of the owners is always on site. The store is appealing to customers because of our party atmosphere. Our customers seem to enjoy themselves, our employees are always in good spirits, and hopefully when you come in you can hear people laughing. We sometimes play music and you never know when an impromptu floor show will break out. My band, MotherMike and the Murphtones also practices up here and we love hearing feedback from our customers. It’s difficult to keep up with the demands, but I enjoy being a salesperson and I enjoy counting money that goes into the bank to pay my bills! Overall, I just like to make sure my customers are happy. I’d also like to give a shout out to Occupy Blono, where my band and I had our 1st official on stage gig!

Mother Murphy’s has a lot to offer. With a cool atmosphere, a variety of products, great music, and awesome employees, what else could you ask for?!

Don’t forget to check out Mike’s band, MotherMike and the Murphtones’ YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/wormweems

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.