This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Advancing toward my junior year, I was entirely unsure of what I wanted to do with my free time. Shocker, huh?

“I had never rushed for a sorority or joined any RSOs or clubs, and honestly… I never felt the desire to. I felt that I had already experienced every “good” thing that I could be apart of on campus, and the boredom was increasingly getting worse. I was already working as a student counselor and a math tutor, but I wanted something more. My current roommate, Maddie, was constantly reassuring that I wouldn’t regret trying out for Poise. And having only cheered and never danced in my life, I obviously said, “Oh hell yeah, I’ll give it a try!”

To my surprise, here I am almost eight months later, and I am still so overjoyed with my decision.

Joining Poise wasn’t just a good decision… it was a great one. Being a part of Poise has allowed me to do things I never thought were possible and meet people I knew were meant to be my lifelong friends. I found a purpose in something I never knew would possess any sort of value at all and a new-found passion and appreciation for dance. How Poise has affected my overall college experience still takes my breath away and for that, I am forever grateful.”

Carris Fischer

Her Campus ISU had the opportunity of interviewing some of the exquisite women from the Poise Dance Team to see how it has positively influenced their time here at Illinois State.

First, we have Katie Ruehle! She is a senior majoring in Psychology with a Children’s Studies minor. While being an active member on Poise for the past three years, she is currently the team’s President and dances on both the jazz/lyrical and hip-hop teams. She has choreographed this semester’s jazz routine to “It’s a Beautiful Day” by Michael Buble. Since she is graduating in May, she will also be performing her senior solo to “Can’t Help Falling in Love” which will be sung by her roommate, Krista Bilow at the Spring Showcase.

Her Campus ISU: What would you tell someone who is interested in joining an RSO (Registered Student Organization) at Illinois State, especially Poise Dance Team?

Katie: DO IT! Illinois State has so many RSO’s that fit everyone’s needs. Specifically, Poise Dance Team was my way of continuing my passion for dance, while meeting some lifelong friends along the way. RSO’s are always a great way to get involved and find friends that have similar interests as you. I encourage all incoming students to expand their horizons and seek out different RSO’s for an amazing college experience!

Meet Samantha Maentanis! She is a senior Special Education major, and this will be her third year on Poise. She has choreographed a few dances in the past for previous showcases, and for this semester’s showcase, we can look forward to seeing her choreographed senior solo to “I Can Only Imagine” by MercyMe.

HC ISU: How has this semester on Poise compared to other semesters?

Samantha: This semester has been a fun but very emotional semester as well. This will be my last semester of dance after 19 years. With being a senior, my schedule has been crazy busy with classes, dance, and friends. I know for myself and probably the other seniors as well, as it is coming to the end of practices and closer to our showcase, it is becoming more emotional day by day. Since our team is smaller this semester, I feel that our team is a close-knit family. Even though the seniors will be leaving, we will always be there to support each and every single person on our team no matter where life takes us.

Next, we have Hannah Henderson! Hannah is a junior Elementary Education major. This is her third year on Poise and her first year as the team’s historian. She has been on the lyrical/jazz team for all three years and this is her first year on the hip-hop team. Hannah choreographed the opening number “Shape of You” for the spring showcase, and she also choreographed a trio to the song “She Use to be Mine”.

HC ISU: What is your favorite dance that is being performed this semester at the Spring Showcase and why?

Hannah: It’s hard to just pick one dance as my favorite. All the dances are great and I’m excited to see all of them on show day! I’m excited for the opening dance “Shape of You”, because it is one of the dances I choreographed. One of my other favorites is a dance to the spoken word piece “To This Day”, which I feel has a powerful message. Another one of my favorites is “Control” (which is choreographed by Carris) because it is different from a lot of the other dances. All my teammates have worked so hard throughout the semester, so I’m sure all the dances are going to be great!

Meet Jessica Atkins! She is a junior at Illinois State with a Psychology major and Sociology minor. In addition to Poise, Jessica also works at the Rec at ISU. This is Jessica’s third year on Poise and first year on the executive board serving as Vice President. She dances on both the hip hop team and lyrical/jazz team. This semester Jessica choreographed both of the hip hop team’s dances.

HC ISU: What’s it like trying to balance classes, dance practices, and work?

Jess: In all honesty it does get very stressful. The only day I do not have class, work, or dance is Saturday. I usually wake up at 7 or 8am and go to bed at midnight or 1am and my only breaks during the day are my meals. The key to balancing everything is efficient time management skills and planning ahead. I am busy but I am lucky that I am busy doing the things I love and not a lot of people can say that.

Meet Allie Zajac! She is a senior Mathematics Teacher Education major. This will be her fourth year on Poise, and her third year on the executive board. She is currently the team’s Costuming Chair and dances on both the jazz/lyrical and hip-hop teams. She has choreographed numerous big and small group dances for past shows, and this semester she is co-choreographing her senior duet to Imagine Dragon’s “Radioactive.”

HC ISU: Being that it is your last year on Poise, what will you miss most about the experience or about the team? Or both?

Allie: This year will be my 19th year dancing, seeing it come to an end, or more so a pause, is just unbelievable. Coming into my freshman year here at ISU, I knew I wanted to dance but I wasn’t sure what I’d find here. At festival ISU in 2013, I found the Poise booth and was told that try-outs were that evening. Being a nervous yet adventure-seeking freshman, I attended try-outs, made it, and never regretted a day of practice. I will miss the members of the team greatly, these are some of the most genuine people I have ever met and they have all helped me become the person I am today. I will also miss having the opportunity to choreograph, however, I am incredibly grateful for Poise giving me the experience of doing so because I can now hopefully carry on the leadership and teaching skills Poise has taught me to my future school as I aspire to coach.

Here we have Jordan Lloyd! She is a sophomore and has been on Poise for the past two years. Next year, she plans on transferring to Western Illinois to continue her Marketing and Communications Degree. She has choreographed hip-hop routines for previous showcases and is an asset to the team, on stage and as a teammate.

HC ISU: How has being on this team changed your overall experience at Illinois State?

Jordan: When I came to ISU, I had these unrealistic expectations of what college was going to be (something along the lines of Animal House mixed with an unending supply of awesome new friends). That’s not at all what I got… until I joined Poise. Being on this team changed my whole experience here and in the most wonderful way. I found some of the most amazing people that I will stay friends with even after I transfer. Being on Poise took my subpar college experience and turned it into not only a bearable but an enjoyable one. I love this team and all it has given me. This team and every person on it will always be the best thing about my time at ISU.

Nicolyn is currently a sophomore studying Elementary Education, minoring in Dance and Spanish. She has been on the team since her first semester freshman year. She only dances on the hip hop team this year but has previously been on the lyrical team. She is involved with Poise, Impact Dance, and College Mentors for Kids! 

HC ISU: So, you are on both Impact’s Dance Team and Poise… how are they different and what do you like about each team?

Nicolyn: The first difference between the two teams is the size. Impact is a smaller team and Poise has a lot more people. That’s okay though, that just means more friends! The second difference is that Poise has two shows in one year, while Impact only has one. Overall, I enjoy that both teams have varied styles of dancing, so that I can improve in every style and that both teams are super close and not really cliquey. Everyone is friends with all members of the team. Both teams have dedicated members which help practices run more smoothly because they actually want to be there!

Next up, Christy Stevens! She is a sophomore Early Childhood Education major who has been dancing with Poise for the past two years. When she is not running around between classes, work, College Mentors for Kids, or her sorority, you can “catch her telling jokes before hip-hop practice.”

HC ISU: In comparing a sorority to a dance team, how are they similar and how are they different? What are the pros and cons to each?

Christy: The best part about being part of a sorority and a dance team is that I am constantly surrounded by people who are passionate about what they love and are willing to take time away from their crazy class and work schedules to devote time doing those activities. The biggest difference between the two is the number of girls in each club. My sorority has over 200 women, and while it is amazing to be part of an organization that makes such a huge, positive impact on the community, it is difficult to make close relationships with everyone involved. On the other hand, while Poise may be smaller, the ladies on my team are like a second family. I have individual relationships among the entire team and they have become my main support system to celebrate good days or comfort me on bad ones.

Molly is a freshman Elementary Education major who danced for Poise last semester. She is on the jazz/lyrical team as well as the hip-hop team. She is looking forward to performing a dance called “Control” the most for this upcoming showcase because it is both challenging, and a lot of fun to do.

HC ISU: What is your favorite memory or memories from being on Poise thus far?

Molly: My favorite memory from Poise would be last semester’s showcase! Through the semester, I made so many great friends on this team, so it was so much fun finally getting to perform with them. On the day of the showcase, we practice our dances together, get ready together, and perform together. It’s a day full of laughter and fun and doing what we love, which is dancing!

Mark your calendars and come see these talented ladies perform in their Spring Showcase on Sunday, April 30th at 2:00 P.M. in the Braden Auditorium. Doors will open at 1:30 P.M. and there will be a $5 general admission charge ($3 with any student ID and children 5 and under are free!) Come and see what Poise has been working so hard on this semester!

Building my life on God's love, choosing joy, embracing family, ceaselessly writing, constantly dancing, raising my pitbull chihuahua, and teaching tiny humans all things.
Contributor account for Illinois State