Meet Muslim Student Association’s Atif Hussain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Meet Muslim Student Association’s Atif Hussain. He is the president of this incredibly important RSO on campus that I have been lucky enough to come in contact with. Little did I know, Atif is from my hometown and while listening to his reponses I realized how nice it was to see how much he reminded me of friends back home. He is smart, driven, and passionate about what he does and I was honored to get to know him better through this interview. The ISU Muslim Student Association will be holding a peaceful rally in Schroeder Plaza this Wednesday February 15th from 11-4 PM. Get all the inside info from Atif below!!

Name: Atif Hussain

Age: 25

Year in School: Senior

Major/Minor: Technology and Engineering Education

Hometown: Schaumburg, IL

Relationship Status: Single

Fun Fact: I love cars

Chipotle Order: Sofritas burrito with everything on it

HC ISU: Where can we find you on a Friday night on campus?

Atif Hussain: I am either at the gym or at the apartment playing video games (I’m getting too old to go out). I also do spend many Friday’s driving Uber here on campus or down in Chicago. Yes, I am kind of boring :p

HC ISU: How has being involved with MSA (Muslim Student Association) impacted your time at Illinois State? From being a member to becoming president

AH: Well when I joined the MSA at the end of last year, there were only about 7 members in it. My goal was to change this and make the MSA here at Illinois State a successful RSO which has many active members and can make a positive presence on campus. I am happy to say that we are slowly getting there and that it has made my time here at ISU absolutely great. I love meeting new people and being a part of the school and community, and being a part of the MSA as well as a few other RSO’s on campus just makes the college experience so much better.

HC ISU: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be and why?

AH: I would make it so that the power of love overcomes the love of power so that everyone can live in peace no matter what they believe in or what they look like. I would also make it rain chocolate twice a year.

HC ISU: What information can you give us about MSA’s Peaceful Rally taking place in Schroeder Plaza on February 15th?

AH: It is going to be great! I want to make sure it is as peaceful as possible and that it spreads only good messages. I would like anyone to join us who believes that we all can live in the same community no matter what our beliefs are. So far we have a good group of people helping with organizing the event.

HC ISU: Do you believe in aliens?

AH: Well I am an alien so I kind of have to. Just kidding, no I do not.

HC ISU: What is your favorite thing about being a student that’s involved at ISU?

AH: Definitely the people I meet. I love meeting new people and having great conversations about life and other things with them. I also love having the opportunity of bringing a positive change into this community and in the world. I truly believe being involved helps with that. My group of friends is very diverse and I am also pretty adventurous person, so I like trying new things and new activities as well, which is easier when you are involved.

HC ISU: What’s your biggest pet peeve? Biggest fear?

AH: People who are close-minded and do not use logic in arguments. I am fine with everyone having their own opinions, but I get annoyed when they are stubborn in a negative way if that makes sense. My biggest fear would have to be anything happening to my family. Besides that, I like having a positive outlook in life and live without too much fear as fear could cause you to not live life to its fullest potential.

HC ISU: If you could eat any meal at this exact moment what would it be?

AH: Sushi. Pizza if I am feeling like eating unhealthy.

HC ISU: Cats or dogs?

AH: I spent many summers on a farm as a child. I’ve had and love both, but if I had to pick one for an apartment or ideal living situation, it would have to be a cat. They are just easier to take care of and I love how clean they are. After college though I would love to have both.

HC ISU: Finally, what’s #1 on your bucket list?

AH: I am blessed enough to have completed many things on my bucket list that I wanted to get done, but I would say graduating college and getting married would be #1 on it as of now. I love family and feel that I am at the age where it is perfect to start your own. Currently taking wifey applications J.

Thank you so much to Atif for taking the time out of his busy schedule to collaborate with HC ISU! Be sure to stop by MSA’s peaceful rally on the quad, talk to them what they’re all about, and meet Atif!! 

Katie Sall

Illinois State