This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Freshman Matt Stacho spends his days switching between hitting the books to hitting the court. As a new basketball player for the ISU Redbirds, Matt’s skills are proof that hard work and dedication pay off. HerCampus ISU caught up with Matt to talk about his crazy schedule, when he started to play, and even his celebrity crush.

HerCampus: When and where did you start playing basketball and how did you become interested in it?

Matt Stacho: I started when I was real young like 4 or 5 playing on a community YMCA team. It was just one of those things parents sign their kids up for and as I got older I fell in love with it.

HC: What is your favorite aspect about the sport?

MS: My favorite aspect would have to be the pace of the game. You’re constantly moving and have to do so many little things precisely unlike many other sports.

HC: When and how did you become a team member for the ISU team?

MS: I officially became a member in December. After my senior season I came in contact with one of the coaches. In October I went to a tryout and another work out with the head coach, and they asked me to stay but I couldn’t attend practices first semester due to my school schedule so had to wait until the end of the semester.

HC: Do you get to play a lot as a new member?

MS: I do not, I’m still learning a lot about the program such as plays and defensive sets.

HC: What is your favorite part about being on the team?

MS: My teammates for sure. A lot of us had to stay in a hotel over break so I got a chance to become close with a lot of them- they’re hilarious.

HC: What is the hardest part about being on the team at a collegiate level?

MS: balancing school and basketball. Basketball is very time consuming especially when we’re on the road so getting caught up and staying there is always tough.

HC: Do you remember the first game or team you ever played for?

MS: Not at all, I know it was all kids from my elementary school though.

HC: Do you have a certain artist or playlist that you listen to to get you pumped up before games or practices?

MS:I usually am listening to whatever new mixtape recently came out. Right now it’s O.N.I.F.C. by Wiz and LongLiveA$AP by A$AP Rocky. I also listen to a lot of other A$AP Rocky and Curren$y cause it reminds me of everyone back at home- they mean a lot to me.

HC: When is the next home game for ISU?

MS: We play Indiana State next Wednesday 1/23 at 7 pm.

HC: Do you have any famous NBA players that you look up to?

MS: Derrick Rose. He grew up not too far from me and has accomplished so much with so little, yet he’s still so humble.

HC: Celebrity crush?

MS: I’ve had a crush on Mila Kunis since I was like 12.. pretty much the only reason I watched that 70’s show.