This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Illinois State University’s own Markie Maloof is not only a full-time student but a singer-song writer as well. She recently wrote a song that you will be able to purchase on iTunes in the near future and will possibly be a guest on Ellen! Read what else Markie had to say to us.  

Name: Markie Maloof

Age: 22

Major: Communication – Organizational Leadership

Hometown: Peoria, Illinois

Her Campus Illinois State: Tell us a little about your background in music?

Markie Maloof: Music has always been a huge part of my life. I’ve been singing with my sister since we were little. When I was six, my dad began to teach me how to play the piano.

HC ISU: Can you explain to us more about your campaign?

MM: “Changing the Face of Beauty” is a campaign that started three years ago. It has grown into a global effort to celebrate and encourage retailers around the world to include models with disabilities in their advertising.

HC ISU: What exactly is your involvement?

MM: In hopes of raising awareness for the campaign, I had the honor of writing a song for “Changing The Face of Beauty”  You can see the video on YouTube and have the opportunity to buy it on iTunes, in the near future!

HC ISU: Where do you see the future of the campaign?

MM: I see this campaign taking the world by storm! The campaign has reached four countries and over 20 companies have already committed to the campaign! J

HC ISU: Okay, so there is a lot of buzz about your possibly going on Ellen! Can you tell us anything about that?

MM: Going on Ellen would be the ultimate goal! Our music video and promotion video for “Changing the Face of Beauty” are on EllenTube…so it’s kind of a waiting game right now! So keep spreading the word and TAG ELLEN!

HC ISU: What are your future plans?

MM: I am graduating in May and then hopefully working with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. But of course, I plan on continuing to write and play music as much as I can.

Grace Masching

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State