This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Maddie Willer is definitely one of the names that comes to mind when you think about the Fashion Merchandising program at Illinois State. Maddie served as the Vice President for the Fashion Design and Merchandising Association last year, had a summer internship in New York, and will be the Modeling Director of the Illinois State Fashion Show this year. She also (of course) always manages to look effortlessly chic every time you catch her in Turner Hall. Let’s find out more about Maddie and her fashionable life! 

Name: Maddie Willer 

Year/major: Senior Fashion Merchandising major 

Hometown: Plainfield, IL 

Favorite Drink: Iced Green Tea – Unsweetened 

Her Campus: Have you always aspired to have a career in fashion? How did you know that this was the path for you? 

Maddie Willer: Honestly, no. I’ve wanted just about every career under the sun and thankfully landed on fashion. 

HC ISU: We know you had an awesome internship at Woman’s Day Magazine this summer, what was your biggest take away from that? 

MW: Be vocal and stay passionate. There are going to be a lot of “no’s” before you finally get your yes. Be proactive – make your own opportunities. Do even the most mindless tasks with great pride and attention to detail. Someday, someone will notice. And mostly, just don’t lose site of the dream, the bigger picture. You have to want it and work for it every single day. 

HC ISU: What was your favorite thing about New York? Do you have any hot spot recommendations? 

MW: The food and the fashion, of course, but mostly the environment. I felt like every day I was surrounded by driven, passionate, hard working people; People that had a dream and came to NYC to make that dream a reality. 

Recommendations: Take the Staten Island Fairy and don’t forget a jacket. Go to The Marshal for dinner and order 1 of everything on the menu. Take the subway to Times Square and stay for only 10 minutes (that is plenty of time, I swear). Go to brunch every single Sunday. Teach yourself the subway/bus system, it is very empowering. Stop and take a picture of every wall mural, and make sure to stop by my favorite the “Avocad’oh” wall. Take the bus down 5th avenue and count how many Zara’s there are. Attend every museum you can, my favorites are MOMA, Whitney and 9/11 memorial. I’ll stop there. 

HC ISU: What does your internship at the Office of Sustainability entail? 

MW: This semester I have worked to implement an initiative called Fix It Friday. Fix It Friday offers FREE basic sewing, mending, and clothing repairs to the community of Bloomington-Normal with our entirely volunteer based staff. The initiative is working to promote sustainable fashion and to reduce the amount of textile waste. I was also able to apply and receive a grant of $5,000 to sustain this initiative on campus. 

HC ISU: What’s the latest trend that you’re obsessed with? 

MW: Bomber jackets. Skincare. Whole30. 

HC ISU: Favorite place to shop at? 

MW: Zara or vintage. 

HC ISU: What do you like to do in your free time? 

MW: When I actually have the time, I love to read a good book, something with a lot of career or fashion inspo. But mostly, I just read Refinery29, Business of Fashion and Cosmopolitan religiously. 

Thanks for chatting with Her Campus Maddie! Can’t wait to see where the world of fashion takes you next!

https://maddiewiller.com

Allison O'Brien

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State