Lindsay’s Fashion Blog: The art of layering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s about that time where temperature is dropping and the wind shows no mercy. Seriously, one would think I’d be used to this weather but it goes from hot to frigid so suddenly. Layering is important if you want to stay warm and fashionable in the coming months. It’s as easy as it sounds, clothes on top of clothe and you’re good to go but it’s the right garments that make you look put together.

The basics
It is quite easy to throw on a t-shirt and your Northface then go. But you want to stay warm, regardless of that 5 minute walk to your class it feels like forever. Not to mention the students that live off campus..I can only imagine, probably like walking through the Tundra. Start off with a basic garment, of course something long sleeve, depending on how cold it is. Of course the colors are up to you, I tend to stay with a neutral color, blacks, whites, or browns. Flannels or plaid shirts can work as well but with these shirts it’s best to stay within autumn colors.

Pants
My take on the leggings is still iffy but done properly, it can look great. Make sure they are of thick quality, you want to feel the bottom half of your body right? Try a Fair Isle or cable knit tights that look great paired with a jumper. You can never go wrong with your favorite pair of jeans; let’s stay away from the ripped jeans though, it is cold, remember?

Outerwear
Sweaters, jumpers, cardigans, Oh my! No but really these items are a must have when layering because it gives you that extra warmth. They are big enough to accommodate the extra clothes you are going to be wearing anyway. Blazers can also be used to layer as well, pair this with a scarf, your neck will thank you.

Shoes
Thick socks or knee high tights to keep those little piggies warm and a pair of vintage ankle boots to add it altogether! Heels if you’re adventurous. But for the sake of being comfortable head to charlotte ruse or even eBay to get a deal on some sweet pair of shoes. Seriously the deals you find on eBay will blow your mind, but I’m sure you ladies already know that.

Accessories
For those sunny days, I can’t help but grab a pair of Aviators and strut my stuff on campus. As stated before scarves work with layering light or chunky looks great!

The key is to stay warm first, being fashionable is just an added perk. So experiment with layering, it’s no daunting task just add clothes on and you’ll pull off this look with ease. Just don’t add on so many clothes that you look like Ralphie’s little brother from a Christmas story. Best of luck!

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.