Lindsay’s Fashion Blog: Crop tops why hast thou forsaken me?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

This summer, crop tops were practically everywhere. Who can blame the over-exposure of this half cut shirt? They are definitely cute and can be dressed up or down depending on the body type. There are two things that saddens me about this trend, 1) I could not partake in it and 2) girls who think they could wear this shirt and get away with it. Ladies, I’m here to steer you into the right direction, to commend those you can wear crop tops and chastise those who try to “make it work”.

First things first, I understand that wearing an outfit is all about a matter of how you view yourself and the confidence to wear it. Quite frankly, that is all you need to wear anything you want because you are dressing for yourself and no one else. That being said, within every girl there is that voice that tells us we look right in a specific article of clothing or not. Like a little voice that says “OMG, please take this off its too tight, big, wrong color, etc.” At that point we should take it off and find something more suitable to fit our needs. As of lately many girls must be ignoring this signal when it comes to crop tops because many girls walk out of the house with these shirts on and think they are in the clear. No. Just because that crop top was made in your size, doesn’t mean you should wear. My dear, I know there are certain items that you think you cannot live without but I’m sure you’ll manage. Trust me, I have seen tons of crop tops that I think I can pull off, but I go into that dressing room and see myself in it and take it off. I wonder why I can’t wear this shirt; the question keeps me up at night. I’ve come to the conclusion that I simply do not have the body type for it; I have been blessed/cursed with a short torso. I honestly realized this, this summer and I want you gals to know the truth as well. You can be a 5’8 girl with a short torso and not able to wear a crop top but be 5’4 with a longer torso and be able to pull it off. Listen I am not the dictator of fashion but in the words of Coco Chanel “The best color in the world, is the one that looks good, on you!”

You are what you wear ladies.

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.