A Letter To All My Single Ladies On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Hey there, 

How are you? Personally, I hope you’re doing okay seeing as one of our most dreaded holidays of the year is creeping up on us. Yes, you’ve got it, Valentine’s Day is in just a few weeks. Brace yourselves, the time has come yet again for chocolate shaped hearts, sappy love songs and Instagram collages of couples proving to us how obsessed they are with each other. Well ladies, either way, there is no escaping February 14th. Whether it means you will be doing your own thing or sitting in front of the TV with a McDonalds feast and your friends by your side, the day is still coming. 

Honestly, I’ve never really understood why there is a holiday dedicated to appreciating the one you love. Shouldn’t people in relationships be doing this everyday? I don’t know, maybe that’s just the bitter single girl inside of me talking. However, I’m really not as bitter as I claim to be. Yes, Valentine’s Day can make single girls like you and I feel lonelier than ever but at the same time it’s a reminder that we’re not settling for something less than perfect. This beautiful, sweet, silhouette of perfection that we’ve made up in our minds and named “Future Boyfriend” will eventually cross paths with us. Until then, I look at this time as time for myself. With this “me time” I can focus on school, future goals and my relationships with the ones closest to me.  

So, as much as we hate the fact that we aren’t being spoiled rotten by “Mr. Perfect” there are a two things that we need to remind ourselves of on this Hallmark holiday. First, we’re only young once. We have the rest of our lives ahead of us to find someone but now is time to focus on ourselves and have fun. Don’t get me wrong, relationships are great but sometimes all a girl needs are her girlfriends and some junk food. Second, we aren’t settling for less than we deserve. The right guy will come along and when he does, trust me, you will know. Just because you haven’t met him yet doesn’t mean you will be anti-Valentine’s Day for the rest of your life. 

You may not know him a week, month or year from now, but Mr. Perfect will come along eventually. When he does I hope he sweeps you off your feet and treats you like the princess that you deserve to treated like. Even though February 14th may not be our favorite holiday this year, I promise it will be eventually. However, I don’t know about you but until then I’ll be curled up in a blanket with my Mcdonalds feast watching Netflix with my best friends. 

XOXO

Celina Porretta

Illinois State