This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Kayla Fritz is the type of person who makes nursing school bearable for her peers.  How can you not love someone who is more sarcastic than she is serious? Along with being in the nursing program, Kayla spreads her talent in quite a few places at Illinois State University. While she is only a sophomore, Kayla manages being a nursing major, being in the honors program, being on the Impact Dance Team, and is a member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority. Yes, you read all of that correctly. Let’s get to know Kayla a little more.

Name: Kayla Fritz

Hometown: Mundelein, Illinois

Major: Nursing

Role Model: Her older sister, Alyssa.

Favorite Netflix Addiction: Shameless

Favorite Food: Spaghetti and meatballs

Her Campus Illinois State: How do you manage being as involved as you are?

Kayla Fritz: Growing up, my mom always encouraged me to get involved with as much as I could because she knew that the more involved I was, the more I’d enjoy my high school experience. After having to manage dance team with studio dance and high school classes, it gave me skills of time management that I carried with me to college, where I continued with dance and my course load got a lot more rigorous; yet I still found the tool my mom taught me of getting involved on campus just made me feel more at home at Illinois State, regardless of the time commitments.

HCISU: Tell us about Impact Dance Team and what you guys do:

KF: Impact Dance Team is an RSO on campus. It’s entirely student-run, and last year was my first year on the team. I had come to school not anticipating joining any dance team, because I had done dance my whole life and I felt like I would need time to get accustomed to school, but one of my friends that had been on the team already encouraged me to join, and I realized that our practices were like stress-relievers for me, because I felt like I was doing something I knew how to do, and it felt good to de-stress when schoolwork became overwhelming. This year I ran for captain of the team and it has given me a chance to have a leadership role. Our team practices twice a week for two hours at a time. We perform at philanthropy events for Greek life events on campus, as well as some men’s and women’s basketball games. We also have our own frequent performances, and then our final showcase at the end of the year in Braden Auditorium.

HCISU: Do you have any advice to give to those who are just beginning the nursing program at ISU?

KF: I would tell them to first, be excited. The Mennonite College of nursing is a great program to be a part of and it’s very selective. There is so much you have to look forward to. While it’s a great experience, it also requires a lot of hard work and dedication. There are many things I’ve had to miss out on because of tests, lab practicals, and long nights of studying at the library. Having to balance school work with social life is not easy, but I can say without a doubt that those long hours are so worth it in the end and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. My biggest word of advice is not to lose sight of what you’re working towards, because in the moment it may not seem like it’s worth it, but in the end, you are making a difference in so many lives outside of your own.

HCISU: What can we find you doing in your free time? (If ever given any)

KF: Free time isn’t a word I think I ever use, because I never get any. Although when I do have some down time, I do my best to always make time for my friends, because I feel like those are the people that help me through when I feel like I can’s possibly study another second. I also try to make time for myself because everyone needs a little Netflix and relaxation. Currently, the show Shameless is what I turn to right after I finish a hard test. I also feel like baking helps me relax, but I usually finish the cookie dough or brownie batter before it even makes it to the oven.

HCISU: What has your experience been like in Gamma Phi Beta?

KF: When I came to school, I had no plans of joining a sorority. No one in my family has every joined Greek life, so I knew little to nothing about it. After going through recruitment, I ended up meeting so many people that I hadn’t anticipated meeting, and the girls in Gphi reminded me of my close friend from home, and it felt good to have a piece of home at school with me. They tell you that you shouldn’t go back to a house unless you could see yourself in sweats eating a Big Mac there, and that’s when I knew Gphi felt like home.

HCISU: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

KF: In ten years, after nursing school and grad school is all over, I hope to be at a big hospital in Chicago or another large city working as a labor and delivery nurse. I would love to be able to travel the world and work after school is over with and possibly work with people who don’t have luxurious health facilities. Honestly, as long as I’m doing what I love and getting the chance to help people, I don’t really care where I’m doing it.

Thanks for talking with HC Kayla! It has been a pleasure interviewing you.

Contributor account for Illinois State