Katie Cunningham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Age: 21

Major: Psychology 

Year in School: Senior

Meet this week’s Campus Celeb, Katie Cunningham! You may recognize her as a model for the well known boutique in town-Apricot Lane, but this senior psychology major knew from a very young age she wanted to compete for the Miss Illinois USA title, and now she is finally getting a chance to chase her dream! Labor Day weekend the Miss Illinois USA Pageant takes place, and this young woman is hoping to take home the crown. She has inspiring ambition, a huge heart, and an incredible drive. Katie has put a ton of time, energy, and effort into preparing for this competition and Her Campus Illinois State had the opportunity to sit down and pick her brain pre-pageant. 

Her Campus Illinois State University: Can you tell us a little bit about the Miss Illinois USA Pageant? 

Katie Cunningham: The Miss Illinois USA Pageant consists of several components, which you are judged on. These include swimwear, evening gown, personal interviews, and then the top 5 women answer on stage questions. The winner of this pageant will then go on to represent Illinois in the Miss USA Pageant! 

HC ISU: Tell us a little bit about your personal journey to competing in the pageant.

KC: Over the course of the past five months I have committed myself to a healthy lifestyle. This included ALL aspects of personal health. Not once did I ever feel like I was on a diet, I made eating healthy and finding new recipes fun! I put my ego aside and picked up some weights for the first time- and I am so glad I did! Feeling stronger was such an empowering experience. I didn’t once weigh myself, I simply based my success off of how I felt. Lastly, but most importantly, I placed an emphasis on my mental health. I took a good hard look at the woman that I was and encouraged myself to be confident and proud. I practiced interview questions and watched the news. It was a long but extremely rewarding process. 

HC ISU: When did you first know this was going to be a dream for you?

KC: For as long as I can remember, I watched the Miss USA Pageant with my mom. This usually consisted of me playing dress-up and imagining myself among the beautiful competitors. Once I grew older, I realized that there was so much more to pageants than a sash and crown. The opportunity was too incredible for me not to pursue. 

HC ISU: How old were you when you competed in your first pageant? 

KC: I was 18! My first pageant was Miss Illinois Teen USA and I placed 2nd runner up. I was very proud of myself and eager to return one day. 

HC ISU: What initially made you want to compete in pageants in the first place? 

KC: I feel a call to bring awareness to several causes that are important to me. Although I am confident in myself, I still feel as though my voice alone is not enough. I could use the title of Miss Illinois USA as a platform to bring awareness to pressing issues and serve as a role model for young women in our community. 

HC ISU: What is something that you think sets you a part from other contestants for this title? 

KC: My passion and determination. Knowing what is in my heart and how passionate I am about the title, it is hard for me to believe that anyone could feel the way that I do. When I decide to commit to something, I go at it 110% and with a positive attitude. 

HC ISU: What are you most looking forward to about the competition this weekend?

KC: The interview process. This is my opportunity to show them who I really am as a person. 

HC ISU: What are you most nervous about? 

KC: The interview process. Ironic? I just hope that I am able to maintain my confidence during this part so that I can communicate why I want the title with ease. 

HC ISU: What did you do to prepare for this weekend? 

KC: This week, I focused on maintaining a positive attitude! Nerves are normal but by keeping a calm and clear mind I will be able to stay focused. 

HC ISU: What is one thing you hope to take away from this experience?KC: The obvious- a crown! But besides that I anticipate that I will gain a new confidence in myself. I am proud of all the hard work that I have put into this process and I know that win or lose- this weekend will solidify all of that hard work and give me an inner confidence. 

HC ISU: If you could tell the audience or the judges one thing about yourself that you really wanted them to know, what would it be? 

KC: I want them to know how serious I would be about being a very involved titleholder. I would be extremely committed towards making appearances and being well represented in the community. My hard work ethic would pay off when preparing for Miss USA as well. 

HC ISU: What are your plans post-pageant? 

KC: Eat some cheese balls at the pub! I can’t wait! 

Fast Facts: 

Favorite Color- Pink

Favorite MovieEat Pray Love

Favorite Food- Avocado, Pizza, Pasta, Tomatoes (couldn’t choose)

Favorite Song- Latch by Disclosure 

Favorite place you’ve traveled to- Arizona, I love the dry heat and no humidity (good hair days) 

Favorite place you hope to travel- I want to travel the world! 

Best piece of advice you’ve ever received- Set your standards high for yourself- encourage yourself to be your personal best. Also, set high standards for others- those who are meant to be in your life will rise up and meet those standards. 

Where do you hope to be in 10 years- In the Chicago area, married and happy, and I hope to have my own psychology practice by then. 

One thing you can’t live without- Unfortunately, my phone. 

Katy Winge

Illinois State

Student at Illinois State University. Member of the Women's Basketball Team. Historian for Zeta Tau Alpha- Eta Phi Chapter. From Minnetonka, MN.
Celina Porretta

Illinois State