Justin Bieber vs. One Direction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

This weekend, a monumental day passed. On November 13th, 2015, two albums will be released.  Not just any two albums but the infamous Justin Bieber and One Direction are releasing their new albums on the same day. Crazy right? I know! Who will win in sales? Who will trend worldwide first? And who will make the most fangirls cry? These are questions we desperately want to know.

If you’re like me, you want both artists to succeed because you love their music so much and you can’t wait to hear their new albums. But only one can be placed at number one. So let’s match up both artists and try to figure out who will have the most fan girls screaming.

Sales

When talking about sales, both artists have been wildly successful over the years. In comparison to first week sales of their first and third albums, One Direction wins every time. In comparison, Justin Bieber’s “My World” sold 137,000 copies versus One Direction’s “Up All Night” sold 176,000 copies. Justin Bieber’s third album, “Believe” sold 374,000 copies versus. “Midnight Memories” which sold 546,000 copies. Both artists made an amount of money I can’t comprehend but we’re going to have to give this one to 1D. Point to One Direction (1-0).

Something to Prove

With this new album, both artists have a lot riding on how well they do with their fans’ feedback and the sales of the album. One Direction recently had a band member quit (RIP Zayn Malik). So this new album is the first we’ll hear with just four band members. On the other hand, Justin Bieber went through a serious bad boy phase and was very rude to his fans and paparazzi. Not only was there the bad boy phase but he “retired” from music for some time so this is first real album since “Believe”. So because we all love the underdog and we all love a bad boy so this one goes to Justin Bieber. Point to Justin Bieber (1-1).

Social Media

As a celebrity, your social media is everything. You need to post a lot and put yourself out there in the best way possible. Right now when checking twitter, One Direction is trending worldwide with the hashtag #1DR1LiveLounge. Whereas Justin Bieber is trending fourth worldwide with the hashtag #EveningWithJB. When it comes down to it, whatever is trending the most is more important. So because they were  trending world wide up until 4 a.m., the point goes to One Direction (2-1).

Following

The amount of followers you have now-a-days is something that’s taken very seriously; what is celebrity without a massive following? This battle comes down strictly to numbers on all different social media platforms. Twitter goes to One Direction when adding up all the boys’ followers it comes out to 90 million and Justin Bieber only has 69 million. Next up is Instagram where the winner is Justin Bieber with 43 million followers. And the last platform, Facebook, where the winner is *pause for dramatic effect* Justin Bieber with 73 million likes on Facebook. Sorry boys but this one goes to Biebs (2-2).

Movies

During their time in the limelight, all of these lovely gentlemen made movies focusing on the depths of the struggles and good times they encountered. In 2013, they both came out with movies and One Direction won over fangirls hearts everywhere by a landslide. Justin Bieber’s Believe grossed $6,206,566 and One Direction’s This Is Us grossed $28,873,374. So in 2013, the clear winner is One Direction (3-2).

Promotion

Now it comes down to the final round. Who is promoting more? Who is making their album more known? Who is making those fangirls want Friday the 13th here so bad? One Direction’s Twitter promotes their new album about five times every hour. Along with their Instagram that is putting up promotional ads three times a day. But I believe Justin Bieber takes the cake on this one. Over the summer he had a number a different celebrities promoting his song “What Do You Mean?” This went on all summer until its release. Also, last week he went on Ellen promoting and talking about his album; they literally called it “Bieber Week”. Due to the countless celebrities he’s gotten behind him for this new album the winner of the final battle is Justin Bieber (3-3).

So it comes down to a tie both of the artist have worked so hard on these new albums and I cannot wait to see what they have in store for all of us. Love them both! Good luck men!

Samantha Cedano

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State