Johnny Bergman ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

He’s cute. He’s can sing. He’s got a mega-watt smile. AND he’s a Special Education major. Girls, if you aren’t swooning by now then I don’t know what to do. With all those qualities and more, it’s almost as if Senior Johnny Bergman was made to be a Campus Cutie. Last week, Johnny and I sat down for our interview with a cup of coffee at The Coffee Hound in Uptown Normal. The minute he started talking I felt like I had known this guy forever. He’s a jokster with an infectious personality and a heart of gold, and the best part ladies? He’s single. So without further ado, the first Campus Cutie of 2013…

Name: Johnny Bergman

Nickname: Birdman

Year: Senior

Hometown: Arlington Heights, IL

Major: Special Education

Relationship Status: Single

HerCampus: So Johnny, what is your involvement on campus?

Johnny Bergman: I’m a part of the Sig Tau fraternity. I also participate in the Best Buddies program and work at the Rec.

HC: You said you’re a Special Education major, how did you know you wanted to be a Special Ed teacher? Or when did you first get interested?

JB: Well when I was in elementary school there was a girl in my class with Down Syndrome. At recess, she had this one swing on the swing set that was her favorite and all she would do during recess was swing on it. Some kids started being mean and racing to that swing during recess to steal it from her. So to stop them, I would leave lunch early and get to that swing to save it for her. Seeing how happy she was when I would do that definitely gave me an interest in becoming a Special Ed teacher.

(Is this guy for real? Cue the swooning)

HC: Wow, that’s amazing. Who would you say your role model is?

JB: Tommy Pickles. Because you can learn every life lesson from him just by watching an episode of Rugrats.

HC: Great answer! Where would we most likely find you on a Saturday night?

JB: I’m never usually in the same place, but your best bet would be at the Sig Tau house hanging out with some of the guys.

HC: So what is your go-to dance party song that you would play at the Sig Tau house?

JB: Ignition by R. Kelly is always a good one. I’d also go with Gigolo by Nick Cannon/R. Kelly or Original Don by Flosstradamus

HC: What about your favorite place to eat on campus?

JB: Chipotle. I once went a whole month without buying groceries and basically just lived off of Chipotle.

HC: That sounds amazing. What TV show you’d want to make a cameo in?

JB: Scrubs or It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

HC: What qualities do you look for in a girl?

JB: The first thing would definitely be if she’s outgoing and funny. I’m pretty weird myself, so I need someone who can be weird with me and understand my sarcasm. Another thing would be a girl who’s not snobby or rude, that’s a big one. Also, you know how it’s usually the guy’s job to go up to a girl at a party and start talking to her? I like when a girl can approach you first instead.

HC: What’s an interesting fact about you that not many of your friends may know?

JB: Probably that I’ve been in choir and have done musicals since first grade and that I love to sing. My close friends and roommates probably know that, especially since I sing in my apartment a ton, but besides that people may not.

HC: If you had to pick one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?

JB: Sushi. I love sushi.

HC: What actor would you pick to play you in a movie?

JB: Probably Vince Vaughn. Or Robert Downy Jr. He’s super funny and has pretty awesome facial hair.

HC: As do you! What is your favorite memory from ISU thus far?

JB: Well there’s a lot but since I’m going to end up applying to be a teacher, I’ll have to keep it PG in case they see this. So I’d probably say Beer Day with the Sig Tau’s.

HC: Totally understandable. Who’s your celebrity crush?

JB: Well I have three. My cute celebrity crush is Rachel McAdams. My sexy celebrity crush is Scarlett Johansson. And the celebrity crush I’d most want to marry is Minka Kelly.

HC: Interesting! So what makes Minka Kelly so wife-able?

JB: I don’t know, but one time in a photo shoot I saw her wearing funny socks and I’m (holding up his foot to show his Bazooka Bubble Gum socks) a huge fan of funny socks. So that’s probably why.

HC: So you guys are pretty much soul mates! Then besides funny socks, what is your favorite thing a girl can wear?

JB: Hmm, I’d have to say sweat pants and a hoodie. That’s when you can tell if a girl is naturally pretty, when she’s just wearing sweatpants and a hoodie.

HC: On Twitter it says you have 300 followers, but you only follow 39. Why is that and how do you select these few VIP people?

JB: Ha, good question! I only follow people who will make me laugh or actually say something of importance. I really don’t want to know if you “just went to Walgreens” or stuff like that, so I’m selective with who I follow.

Megan Lawler

Illinois State