This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It just wasn’t meant to be. And that’s completely okay.

As cliché as that sounds, it’s completely true. Getting out of a relationship is never easy. It never will be right away. No matter how long or short, how toxic or healthy it was. Before ending a relationship, everyone experiences that same feeling. You constantly ask yourself: “Can I find a way to make this work?” “Do I really want to do this?” Yes. Yes, you do. No, there’s no way you can make this work because at the end of the day, you shouldn’t have to make anything work. It should just work.

After a breakup, you’ll get asked the same thing repeatedly by everyone: “What did they do?” “What did you do?” “How did it happen?” I’m here to answer that for everyone.

It really doesn’t matter. There doesn’t need to be an explanation because you don’t owe that to anyone and sometimes there just isn’t one. The same way people fall in love, they can also fall out of it.

I’m sure we’ve all experienced a broken relationship due to “lost feelings” and then beat ourselves up about it because you just “wish you felt the same as you did in the beginning”. It’s not your fault you continued to grow without that person. Just like it’s not their fault if they did the same. It’s no one’s fault and it’s no one place to put the blame on anyone.

The healthiest thing to do if put in the situation to explain a breakup is to remember that you can’t change the past and you can’t beat yourself up about something you didn’t have control over. Your relationship was your relationship and shouldn’t have to be explained to anyone. The power of personal privacy goes a long way and is something that should be respected by you and those around you. So don’t feel obligated to answer any of those questions. Because you may not have all the answers yet.

Davita Jo Monaghan

Illinois State

It's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world.
Contributor account for Illinois State