ISU Fashion Show Designer Spotlight: Shannon Bowie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

One upon a time there was a loveable, laughable, animal lover. Do you really need to read anything else to love Shannon Bowie? Shannon is a fashion design and merchandising major, and fashion has always been something she has wanted to pursue. Shannon describes her aesthetic as modern and minimalistic, but not too simple. Her dog is her best friend, and she is very driven by the creative minds around her. Did I mention she loves her dog? Read on to find out more about this dog-loving designer.

Her Campus: Have you always been a fashion major?

Shannon: Technically yes. I went to a community college my freshman year. Sophomore year I transferred, but I have always known I was going to do fashion. I remember doing a presentation in 5th grade and I said become a fashion designer. I had a mini dress form that I would create clothing for. I would use random materials and present on it. I didn’t technically know how to sew until I came to ISU. I decided to pursue merchandising and design.

Her Campus: What inspires you to do the work you do?

Shannon: I think being surrounded by other creative people really drives me. Specifically, for this show I had 3 different ideas and I was very influenced by the other people around me. I wanted to do better and better. Also, the growth of where I was a year ago to now inspires me.

Her Campus: Tell us something interesting about yourself that sets you apart from other designers:

Shannon: Not a lot of people have always known that they wanted to do fashion. I have always known. It’s always been my passion. I have a lot of support from my family, too. A lot of people want to major in art or business because they are safe. My family has always pushed me 100 percent to do whatever I want to do no matter what it was or how risky it was.

Her Campus: Other than designing for the fashion show, what other projects are you working on right now?

Shannon: I have been trying to get a design internship.  I am working with Royal and Reese in the fall. I want a hands-on design internship, but not necessarily with a huge designer because I want it to be very hands on. I want it to be local and personal. I would be very willing to go to Nashville but preferably in Chicago.

Her Campus: What’s your favorite part about the FDM program?

Shannon: I like that everyone shares a common interest because when I was in high school, no one that I knew had the same interests as me. It’s not something that everyone is interested in. I love how small it is because you get to know everyone on a personal level and you get more one on one with your teachers.

Her Campus: What are your plans after college?

Shannon: I am open to moving out of state. I am open to anything, really. I would like to do an apprenticeship. Eventually I hope to have my own online store. Things are moving in a social media direction stores closing. I want my own brand. It depends on where I am when I graduate.

Her Campus: As far as your collection for the 2017 fashion show, can you give us an idea of what we can expect?

Shannon: You can expect an unconventional material, which is safety-pins. I have been using safety pins to create unique pieces. Minimalistic, modern fabrics are also being used. With the unconventional material, it adds a punk rock feel, but still modern.

Her Campus: The use of unconventional material sounds so interesting! We can’t wait to see your collection.

Tickets for the 2017 Illinois State Fashion Show are on sale at the Braden Box Office, or online at Ticketmaster.com. The show is April 13th with light refreshments at 5 p.m. and a show sta

Josie Lakin

Illinois State

Hi, I'm Josie. I love Halo Top ice cream and listening to Drake too loud. My goal is to be your go-to for fashion and health! This is my first semester writing for Her Campus ISU, and I can't wait to see how I develop as a writer. Catch me in NYC this summer livin' the dream.
Contributor account for Illinois State