ISU Fashion Show Designer Spotlight: Megan Hanson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Megan Hanson is a Junior Fashion Merchandising and Design major at Illinois State University. Megan started out as a communications major, but once she switched to fashion, she knew it was where her heart had always been. At this year’s Illinois State University Fashion Show, Megan aspires to create a fun, flirty, Spring inspired collection that leaves her audience with a bright, happy feeling. We recently had the opportunity to sit down with Megan and find out a bit more about her. 

Her Campus: Have you always been a fashion major? 

Megan: Freshman year I was going to be a Communications major. I didn’t really know what Communications entailed. When I got to orientation I realized that Communications was not for me. I was going through the catalog and I found fashion, and I knew it would be something I really enjoyed.  

Her Campus: Have you been happy with your decision on the path of fashion? 

Megan: Yes, absolutely. 

Her Campus: Are you Fashion Design, Fashion Merchandising, or both? 

Megan: I am both. I am very interested in all aspects of the industry.  

Designed by Megan Hanson

Her Campus: What inspires you to do the work you do? 

Megan: For the fashion show for this year I was inspired by Spring season: Flowers bright colors and prints, a clean and polished aesthetic, and flowing, loose silhouettes. I get a lot of inspiration from social media and Instagram. 

Her Campus: What have you been involved with that relates to FDM outside of the program? 

Megan: I love being a part of the Fashion Design and Merchandising Association. This is a networking, organization that welcomes all fashion and non-fashion majors. We do a lot of activities that help to prepare us as fashion professionals, as well as fun events. Fashion at the Mansion is another great part of our major. Fashion at the Mansion really brings everyone in the program together for a great cause. Lastly, I applied to intern for our costume collection, the Louis Jett Costume Collection. Fingers crossed I get accepted for the Fall! 

Designed by Megan Hanson

Her Campus: Tell us something interesting about yourself that sets you apart from other designers:  

Megan: I really enjoy everything being very simple rather than abstract and detailed and fancy. I like to keep things simple straight forward, nothing too dramatic. A lot of casual wear.  

Her Campus: Other than designing for the fashion show, what other projects are you working on right now? 

Megan: I am actually designing a dress for myself for the show. 

Her Campus: What’s your favorite part about the FDM program? 

Megan: I like that everything is hands on and the class sizes and rooms are smaller, rather than huge lectures. The classes offered actually really benefit me. I am forced to learn a lot. I didn’t know how to sew coming into the program and now I can create something from scratch and make it personalized to myself. 

Designed by Megan Hanson

Her Campus: What are your plans after college? 

Megan: I want to move to either New York or California. I want to design, but I want design on the side to start out. I hope to work as a buyer. I feel like I will have more opportunity on one of the coasts.  

Her Campus: As far as your collection for the 2017 fashion show, can you give us an idea of what we can expect? 

Megan: Pops of color. As I said before, I am very inspired by the spring season.  

Designed by Magan Hanson

Her Campus: Thank you so much for talking to us Megan! We hope everything works out well for you! 

Tickets for the 2017 Illinois State Fashion Show go on sale March 20th at the Braden Box Office, or online at Ticketmaster.com. The show is April 13th with light refreshments at 5 P.M. and a show start time of 7 P.M.  

Josie Lakin

Illinois State

Hi, I'm Josie. I love Halo Top ice cream and listening to Drake too loud. My goal is to be your go-to for fashion and health! This is my first semester writing for Her Campus ISU, and I can't wait to see how I develop as a writer. Catch me in NYC this summer livin' the dream.
Contributor account for Illinois State