ISU Fashion Show Designer Spotlight: Kelly Blyth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

April flowers bring may showers? Ok, we know that isn’t the case. However, we are in fact for some April flowers with Kelly Blyth’s collection for the 2017 ISU Fashion Show. This designer was able to mix sustainability, and pretty floral patterns to bring us some serious Spring vibes. Check her out!

Her Campus: Have you always been a fashion major?

Kelly: I have not always been a fashion major. I came into college looking to be a physical education teacher. Once I found out about the ISU Fashion Design and Merchandizing program, I switched majors.

Her Campus: What inspires you to do the work you do?

Kelly: I really enjoy nature. I am always inspired when I go outside. I have a love for flowers, so floral prints and designs are my favorite. I also enjoy learning about sustainability in the fashion industry, so I try to choose sustainable fabrics or second hand fabrics that have been donated.

Her Campus: Tell us something interesting about yourself that sets you apart from other designers:

Kelly: I feel that I have a very specific aesthetic. I really enjoy creating feminine designs that flatter the female body. I try and focus on the little details that contour and define the feminine look. 

Her Campus: Other than designing for the fashion show, what other projects are you working on right now?

Kelly: I am currently enrolled in draping and design at Illinois State. I am working on creating a garment from scraps of old/donated clothing and creating my own work of art. I have brought together some old vintage denim so it should turn out very nicely.

Her Campus: What’s your favorite part about the FDM program?

Kelly: My favorite part about the FDM program is how close every student is. No matter where you turn, a student or faculty member is there for you. I have met so many amazing friends. I also love all of the FDMA meetings.  During the meetings we get to speak with professionals in the fashion industry, and they really inspire me and get me excited for my future after college.

Her Campus: What are your plans after college?

Kelly: After college, I would love to work for a fashion corporation and design on their product development team. I would also like to do an internship to gain more sewing skills.

Her Campus: As far as your collection for the 2017 fashion show, can you give us an idea of what we can expect?

Kelly: My collection is all about roses. I have incorporated a very fun floral print with some bright basics; The perfect touch of gold pops off of the floral print for some extra shine. You can expect some fun spring colors!

Her Campus: We love flowers too! Your collection sounds beautiful, and we will see you at the show!

Tickets for the 2017 Illinois State Fashion Show are on sale at the Braden Box Office, or online at Ticketmaster.com. The show is April 13th with light refreshments at 5 p.m. and a show start time of 7 p.m.

Josie Lakin

Illinois State

Hi, I'm Josie. I love Halo Top ice cream and listening to Drake too loud. My goal is to be your go-to for fashion and health! This is my first semester writing for Her Campus ISU, and I can't wait to see how I develop as a writer. Catch me in NYC this summer livin' the dream.
Contributor account for Illinois State