ISU Fashion Show Designer Spotlight: Justin Golich

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With the Illinois State Fashion show coming up, it is only right that we showcase the talented designers and get to know them a bit better. Justin Golich is a Fashion Design major here at Illinois State University. You may know him from his new widely popular apparel brand F-109, which launched on February 26th of this year. Why else does Justin stand out to us? He is one of only two men in the Fashion program at ISU. If you know him, you know that Justin is extremely creative and very bold. He chases his goals and manages to be successful at doing so. While he isn’t in class, designing for the ISU Fashion Show, or working on his apparel brand, Justin is the intern for the Louis Jett Historic Costume Collection located in turner hall. Her Campus recently had the pleasure of sitting down with Justin to ask him some questions, and hopefully get a little sneak peak of what he is up to for the fashion show. Designer spotlight number one goes out to Justin Golich.  

Her Campus: Have you always wanted to work in fashion? If so, what has inspired you to do this? If not, what made you decide you wanted to?

Justin: Fashion wasn’t something I always wanted to do. Although I’ve always been into clothing/sneakers and cared about what I wore ever since I was young, what really made me decide I wanted to pursue fashion as a degree/career was the creative outlet it gives the designer. I believe I have always been creative in various ways and I think that builds something special to my skill set as a designer. As a creative individual, finding something that you can feel confident doing almost lifts a weight off your shoulders. Being able to work in an encouraging environment without judgment is something that I feel every creative must find, and mine came in the form of fashion. 

Her Campus: How do you feel about being one of the only men in the fashion program? Do you think it gives you a competitive edge or makes you stand out?

Justin: I have no complaints at all about being one of the only men in the fashion program. At first, it did feel different and was intimidating because my first reaction was “I’m in a class with all girls who probably know way more about the fundamentals of fashion than I do.” But, I have never felt more welcomed in a program than everyone has made me feel over the last few years. I don’t think it gives me a competitive edge in the long run because many of the greatest designers in history and currently are men, but I do think here at ISU it has made me stand out. On multiple occasions I have been recognized as “that guy who does fashion”, which if someone doesn’t know my name, that’s is definitely the next best thing. 

Her Campus: What’s your favorite thing about the fashion program here at Illinois State?

Justin: My favorite thing about the fashion program here at ISU is the inclusion I have felt since day 1. One thing I feared about being one of the few guys was that no one would take me seriously. But the inclusion I have felt from the teachers, students, and the friends I have made has led me to believe I am exactly where I am supposed to be. Many things that make me happy on a daily basis I would not have if I did not switch my major into the fashion program at ISU and I am incredibly grateful for all it has done for me to this day.

Her Campus: What’s your inspiration for your collection for the fashion show this year?

Justin: My inspiration this year for the show is the idea of Anti-fashion. My attempt is to take the aesthetically unpleasing and make it dope. That is all I can give away on it for now.

Her Campus: What would your ideal job be after college?

Justin: After college, my ideal job is to continue in the creation of my own brand with my best friend Donavan. We’ve recently jumpstarted our way into designing things under our name and feel very confident and motivated that we can make big things happen together. In addition to that, I would love to start working in the industry for one of the many brands I am a big fan of to learn more and get an inside look on the best ways to be successful in the business of fashion. 

Her Campus: Thank you, Justin, for letting us all get to know you a little better. We are excited to see what your “Anti-Fashion” collection has in store for us at the 2017 Illinois State University Fashion Show.

Don’t forget to purchase your tickets for the ISU Fashion Show, on sale March 20th online at Ticketmaster.com, or at the Braden Box Office. The show will be held Thursday, April 13th in the Brown Ballroom at 7 P.M. Light refreshments will be served at 5 P.M. 

Josie Lakin

Illinois State

Hi, I'm Josie. I love Halo Top ice cream and listening to Drake too loud. My goal is to be your go-to for fashion and health! This is my first semester writing for Her Campus ISU, and I can't wait to see how I develop as a writer. Catch me in NYC this summer livin' the dream.
Contributor account for Illinois State