ISU Fashion Show Designer Spotlight: Ashley Astabraghpour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Everything happens for a reason. Do you agree? If so, you will love Ashley Astagraghpour’s 2017 collection for the ISU Fashion Show. She is very inspired by this idea, and did a beautiful job representing this through the art of garment creation. Ashley came to ISU as a fashion student, and has been in love with the program since her first day. Read on to find out how Ashley’s 2017 ISU Fashion Show collection will inspire you.

Her Campus: Have you always been a fashion major?

Ashley: Yes I have. I transferred to ISU. I chose to do two years at my local community college before coming to ISU. It’s funny because I actually was all set to come here my freshman year as a undecided major, but at the last minute my parents told me that financially we have to go the community college route. Of course for a long time I was really devastated but now, I wouldn’t change a single thing. It was good to have that extra few years to figure out what I really wanted to do and study. When I discovered that ISU had fashion merchandising, I knew right away it was where I was meant to be and what I was meant to study.

Her Campus: What inspires you to do the work you do?

Ashley: So many things inspire me when it comes to fashion and design. I wish I had more time here because if I did I would definitely do both the design and merchandising sequence. I love the creative side that designing brings out. It honestly depends a lot on my mood when I’m designing and thinking about different looks. Anything from just walking around the fabric store and being inspired to creating something out of a fabric I find, to being inspired by things and people around me like family and friends. Those are probably the main things that I get inspired.

Her Campus: Tell us something interesting about yourself that sets you apart from other designers:

Ashley: Before taking the entry level sewing class here that is required for merchandising and design majors, I actually knew a little bit about sewing already. My Aunt is a seamstress and had taught me little things before going into the class, so knowing those things were very helpful. After finding that I really wanted to learn more beyond the skills I gained from the class, I decided I wanted to start spending time with her so that she can teach me more complex skills. There is still SO much for me to learn when it comes to sewing, but being in the fashion show this year compared to last year has gone a lot smoother than last year.  Another interesting thing about me is that I sort of work backwards when it comes to designing. Most people come up with a sketch and a mood board first, but for me I can’t sketch anything or come up with ideas for garments and a mood board until I pick out all my fabrics. It’s almost like the fabric I pick out get me excited to design and set the tone for what I’m making.

Her Campus: Other than designing for the fashion show, what other projects are you working on right now?

Ashley: Other than designing I am really just starting to focus on applying for jobs after college, getting together a really presentable portfolio, and getting as many applications out there as possible. I haven’t really been working on too many fun and exciting projects outside of my designs for the show because they keep me so busy! Other than that, I also am pretty busy with my internship at Royal and Reese. I absolutely love spending my time there. I’ve learned so much from them in the short amount of time being there. I really don’t want to leave the internship when I graduate!  

Her Campus: What’s your favorite part about the FDM program?

Ashley: My favorite part of the FDM program is the opportunities that are presented to us. There are so many resources and extra events that take place for our major that have benefited me, and enhanced my college experience. From all the trips that we are able to go on to the guest speakers that come in, we gain first-hand experiences of how the field will be like after graduation. We have amazing staff and faculty that are always there to answer any questions or guide you in the right direction, whether it is school related or not. I also wouldn’t be able to go through this without all of my classmates. We spend so much time together in all these classes that you really start to become close with one another. It’s nice to have people going through the same things you are going through, and it’s great how supportive and helpful everyone is.

Her Campus: What are your plans after college?

Ashley: Right now I don’t have specific plans for after college, but I’m working hard to find a job within the fashion industry. I know I will be staying at home for a while to save up some money. Hopefully I’m able to find somewhere that will be close enough to commute to and from my hometown. Although, if an opportunity arises, I might look into relocating. I have been applying to a few places that are out of state, such as a few positions in Nashville, but nothing is for sure right now.

Her Campus: As far as your collection for the 2017 fashion show, can you give us an idea of what we can expect?

Ashley: My collection for the 2017 show is called Blank Space. It’s fun, a little edgy but still girly. I was mainly inspired by the something that occurs within life. There are always highs and lows, and I believe everything happens for a reason. With the idea of highlights as the central fashion show theme, I came up with the idea that individuals create “space” in their lives for things that matter or are truly important to them. This space may be positive or negative. You can expect a lot of my textiles to have parts where they are see through and parts where they are not, as well as a lot of floral, shimmer and shine.

Her Campus: That sounds very beautiful Ashley. What an interesting inspiration! We will see your collection on the runway.

Tickets for the 2017 Illinois State Fashion Show are on sale at the Braden Box Office, or online at Ticketmaster.com. The show is April 13th with light refreshments at 5 p.m. and a show start time of 7 p.m.

Josie Lakin

Illinois State

Hi, I'm Josie. I love Halo Top ice cream and listening to Drake too loud. My goal is to be your go-to for fashion and health! This is my first semester writing for Her Campus ISU, and I can't wait to see how I develop as a writer. Catch me in NYC this summer livin' the dream.
Contributor account for Illinois State