How To: Write a Cover Letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We all have to face the fact that sometime in our college careers and definitely after we graduate we will run into a situation where we will have to write a cover letter.  Unfortunately, cover letters are not like resumes where you can tweak them for each application.  Cover letters need to be more personal and specific to where you are applying to.  Although cover letters can be a pain in the butt, they give you a great opportunity to explain more in-depth about why you are good fit for the position and the company you are applying for, and how the skills on your resume will benefit you in the career world. 

Before going into the formatting, there are a few overall tips that you should be aware of when writing a cover letter.  Even though cover letters are the perfect time to brag about yourself,  your cover letter should be no longer than a page; sorry ladies, bragging must be set to a minimum.  Although you want to talk about how awesome you are and why you are the perfect candidate, you want to show the employer that you can prove you are awesome without having to go on and on before you bore the reader.  Another great tip is to know who you are addressing the letter to.  If you aren’t sure, call the office and ask!

The formatting is important when writing a cover letter so that professionals know that you are knowledgeable about the proper way to compose a cover letter.  The details, well that’s all up to you!

Your Contact Information

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email Address

Date (that your write the letter)

Salutation

This is where you address the professional you are writing your cover letter to.  Start with Dear and insert name.  If you do not know the person’s name it never hurts to call and ask, or leave out a name and simply address To whom this may concern.

Body of the cover letter

The body of the letter is where you address what position you are applying for and explain why the employer should select you for an interview or position.  The body consists of a first paragraph, a middle paragraph or paragraphs and an ending paragraph to close the letter.  The first paragraph should inform the employer reading your letter why you are writing to them and how you heard about the job position.  The middle paragraphs are where you get to brag about yourself and describe how your skills and experience can be offered to the employer as well as the position you are applying for.  This is where you have to get specific and explain what is on your resume.  Do not go on for too long; the reader will get boring and throw away your letter.  The final paragraph is where you thank the employer for considering you for the position and provide information of how they can follow up with you.

At the end, add a complimentary closing and your signature!

My recommendation is to make sure you have all your contact information correct, and check to see that you have the correct spelling for the employer as well as the company name.  Make your cover letter unique and stand out to the reader so that they remember your letter after reading all the other applicants’ letters.  Once you have sent in your resume and cover letter to a potential employer, it is always a plus to send a follow up email to assure they got your application.  This also shows that you have a high interest in the position and it makes you more memorable. Good luck and happy writing!